cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How the Out-of-Stock threshold option works?

How the Out-of-Stock threshold option works?

I see that I have the Out-of-Stock threshold in my admin panel, how could I use it in order to have more items in my products in stock then I really have?

Magento 2 Out-of-Stock threshold

And how does it works?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How the Out-of-Stock threshold option works?

You can use a negative amount in order to have more salable items than you really have in stock.

Out-of-Stock threshold

Use a negative value for this threshold to set the maximum amount of products that can be backordered before the product is truly considered out of stock. This amount adds to the salable quantity. The value set at the product level overrides any value set at the global level.

The formula for the Salable Quantity is (Quantity - (Out-of-Stock Threshold)).

The following is an example:

Quantity: 25 Notify for Quantity Below: 10 Only X left Threshold: 5 Out of Stock Threshold: -50

The Salable Quantity for this product is 75 (25 - (-50)).

Magento 2 The Salable Quantity Example Salable Quantity before backorders enabled

Magento 2 The Salable Quantity Example Salable Quantity after backorders enabled

When customers purchase more than 25 products, new orders enter as backorders. As the product’s Salable Quantity reduces to 5 (70 items have been sold), the Product page will display a message Only 5 left on the storefront. When the Salable Quantity reaches 0, the product is displayed as Out of Stock in the storefront.

Reference: Magento 2 DevDocs - Out-of-Stock threshold

This does not work on M2.4.2 CE.

Every time you save the product and then go back into it, it has reverted back to 0, it does not save the '-' figure.

The problem with an OOS value of Zero is that with backorders enabled (at product level), zero is calculated as infintely back orderable and therefor allows potential massive overselling.

Hi @RafaelCorreaGomes,

If you can't get clarified with Out Of stock Notification on Magento, then let do check it here on Magento2 Out Of Stock Notification Module.

If my ansswer is helpful, then hit kudos and accept as solution

Best regards
madhuboots

Check your reservation table to your item in the database and check if your CRON, to make sure you have it running well to do the calculations.

If you don't need to have a threshold in all your products, you can disable it and in the products that you don't need to manage stock, you can disable the "Stock management" directly via the product page in the admin panel.