cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to bulk remove certain category from product catalog

SOLVED

How to bulk remove certain category from product catalog

I publish content for a merchant, and I want to bulk remove one category from multiple categories assigned to products. I saw there are some answers to help on developer side but not any to solve this as backend user.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to bulk remove certain category from product catalog

As I understand from your post, you're looking for a solution that can be applied from the admin console. The situation is that you have many products that are assigned to many categories. You want to make adjustments in bulk, to remove one of those category associations.

The good news is that's relatively easy. First, navigate to the category that you want to disassociate from products. In your Magento admin, go to Catalog --> Categories. Then select a category from the Tree Menu. Open the tab called "Products in Category". Remove checkboxes from the products that you no longer want to be associated with this category. Then save your work with the <Save> button.

This saves you from manually going into each product record to adjust the categories associated with the product. In this way, you can bulk edit easily. This would be my preferred method as an admin.

There are other ways you could potentially go about this task, like exporting a product spreadsheet, editing it, and re-uploading.

Best of luck!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

As I understand from your post, you're looking for a solution that can be applied from the admin console. The situation is that you have many products that are assigned to many categories. You want to make adjustments in bulk, to remove one of those category associations.

The good news is that's relatively easy. First, navigate to the category that you want to disassociate from products. In your Magento admin, go to Catalog --> Categories. Then select a category from the Tree Menu. Open the tab called "Products in Category". Remove checkboxes from the products that you no longer want to be associated with this category. Then save your work with the <Save> button.

This saves you from manually going into each product record to adjust the categories associated with the product. In this way, you can bulk edit easily. This would be my preferred method as an admin.

There are other ways you could potentially go about this task, like exporting a product spreadsheet, editing it, and re-uploading.

Best of luck!

Hey Robert

This is really simple and great solution. I just removed the checkboxes and saved.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate!

My pleasure!

Hello @Robert Rand 

This answer was very helpful for me too.

but i wonder is that a was for ragains action,

i mean if i have many products, but i want to assign new category to them.

FYI:

i have 2 category A & B which they have alot of products inside,

then after a time i create New Folder C, which i put the folder A & B under C, but the products inside that 2 folder are not assigned to Folder C.

any solution?

Thanks and Regards,

Gabriel

Hi @gabriel_helle,

In that case, you might consider exporting your product spreadsheet following these instructions: https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/system/data-export.html

You could then edit the spreadsheet. For example, in the Category IDs column, if a product is listed as being in Category #1,2 you could find and replace, and change it to 1,2,3 (using the correct category IDs for the categories in your store.

You could then update the products by importing your changes via these instructions: https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/system/data-import.html

That is, assuming that you need to do this to so many products that this will be faster and easier than making the adjustments directly through the Categories interface in the Magento admin.

Best of luck!