cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot figure out where to put product dimensions - Magento 2.2

SOLVED

I cannot figure out where to put product dimensions - Magento 2.2

I have been searching for hours as to how to add product dimensions to the products I have entered

I'd be most appreciative if some one could open my eyes as how to do so, I currently do not have any shipping modules enabled (if this makes a difference)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: I cannot figure out where to put product dimensions - Magento 2.2

Hi @SeafordArt,

This isn't a defense for Magento. I guess the best word to describe Magento is flexibility. If this is true you can handle attributes in the way you want.

Also, modules can add or remove or change attributes (it will depend on the vendor or the developer).

So, since Magento came with different product type (some of them are not shippable) you can't expect to have some shipping attributes as default and/or mandatory. (For example, you have Virtual and Downloadable products, also Giftcards in the Commerce edition).

Also, if you force some attribute for dimmensions maybe some integration with a 3rd-party module could need some extra modification (well, or not).
I think this topic hasn't an answer that fits on all the problems/scenarios. I can imagien several stores without shipping. Also, not all the carriers in the world works with dimmensional shipping yet.

I don't know. As you I would be nice to have that part solved out-of-the-box and know that all the carriers works in the same way but the reality doesn't look as bright (yet).

(my 2 cents)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @SeafordArt,

Are you trying to add dimensions because some module request the information or is just becasue you want to those the informaiton on product page?

In both cases, I guess, you need to create your own attributes. You'll find the chapter of the user guide related with attributes here: http://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/catalog/product-attributes.html

And this is the main page of the user guide: http://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/magento/magento-community-edition-2.1-user-guide.html

Thanks for replying Damian, most of my experience comes from OsCommerce and Opencart where when entering product details you also enter the product dimensions and weight so that when you install a shipping module it can quote freight charges based on those details

I was super surprised this was not the case with Magento, and could not figure out how to do it!

Hi @SeafordArt,

This isn't a defense for Magento. I guess the best word to describe Magento is flexibility. If this is true you can handle attributes in the way you want.

Also, modules can add or remove or change attributes (it will depend on the vendor or the developer).

So, since Magento came with different product type (some of them are not shippable) you can't expect to have some shipping attributes as default and/or mandatory. (For example, you have Virtual and Downloadable products, also Giftcards in the Commerce edition).

Also, if you force some attribute for dimmensions maybe some integration with a 3rd-party module could need some extra modification (well, or not).
I think this topic hasn't an answer that fits on all the problems/scenarios. I can imagien several stores without shipping. Also, not all the carriers in the world works with dimmensional shipping yet.

I don't know. As you I would be nice to have that part solved out-of-the-box and know that all the carriers works in the same way but the reality doesn't look as bright (yet).

(my 2 cents)

Thanks Dan, I got it all sorted out now! Smiley Happy