Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identical configurable products versus custom dev

SOLVED

Identical configurable products versus custom dev

Hi,

I am new to Magento (2.2)

I am selling configurable products (attributes = size + color).

I have very few configurable products so if I show only the configurable products, my shop is going to be pretty empty.

In the shop, I would like to show, every color of each product but when the person clicks on the product, they are being sent to the configurable product detail page (not the simple product detail page).

I am thinking of two ways to do this :

- option a : create a configurable product for each color of each product.

Just to be clear : Configurable product A green and Configurable product A yellow would both use Simple product A green AND Simple product A yellow but I would put the green image as default for Configurable product A green and the yellow image as default for Configurable product A yellow.

Then I would be able to select both configurable products to show on my shop.

Do you see any problems regarding stock management (both configurable products are using the same simple products)

- option B : show in the shop the simple products for each color variation of a product and ask for custom dev that when someone clicks on the simple product it goes to the corresponding configurable product page.

Any thoughts on what would be the best practice ? Any other way of doing I should be considering ?

Thanks in advance to anybody who takes the time to help me think about this.

Pierre

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Identical configurable products versus custom dev

@pierre_cleaud I understand that due to the limited catalog you wanted to show simple products. well simply, then show associated products into frontend, change visibility as "visible in catalog", when user click on those products simple redirect them on the configurable product of that, for this, you need to do some customization.  make sense? 

-
Magento Programmer | Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@pierre_cleaud I understand that due to the limited catalog you wanted to show simple products. well simply, then show associated products into frontend, change visibility as "visible in catalog", when user click on those products simple redirect them on the configurable product of that, for this, you need to do some customization.  make sense? 

-

Thank you for the reply.

Why not create multiple identical configurable products with different
image ? It seems simpler. Would that create any problems in terms of
product management or stock management ?

Pierre

@pierre_cleaud yes by creating configurable all products it would duplicate catalog which already exits as simple products already associated with the configurable products. Also, its confusing and not good practice, as per my view. cheers!

-