cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Product Images from .XML fie?

Importing Product Images from .XML fie?

Hello everyone, 

I need to find a solution to migrate product data from a proprietary PHP-based ecomm site over to Magento. The most critical step is to get the product data over with the least amount of pounding on the keyboard. I have been able to get text imported by reformatting the columns and the file type to a .CSV, but not the images.

Specifically, this PHP site exports data in an .xml format with the image for each product embedded in a column of the spreadsheet. From what I can see, there is no method to directly import product images out of a spreadsheet in the core functionality of Magento.

Is there an extension that could do this? A macro? The idea of manually doing thousands of images by hand is not only undesirable, it would kill the potential of the project entirely.

Ideas? 

Thanks!

(magento 2.3 community ed)

1 REPLY 1

Re: Importing Product Images from .XML fie?

On the Magento server, upload the image files to the default folder for importing product images: pub/media/import.

You can use a different folder as well on the Magento server, as long as the path to the folder is specified during the import process. Make sure the directory permission is 777

In the CSV data, enter the name of each image file to be imported on the correct row, by SKU, and in the correct column according to image type (base_image, small_image, thumbnail_image, or additional_images).