cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal that two different customers can enter the same tax/vat number?

Is it normal that two different customers can enter the same tax/vat number?

On Magento 2.2.4 in the registration form, if two different customers enters the same tax/vat number Magento accept that and stores the two customers with the same vat number in the database. Is that normal? If not, there is a way to force Magento to check if the number was already registerd? I find this a strange behaviour since the tax/vat number must be unique and this is causing me problems with the store clients.

Can somebody help me? Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Is it normal that two different customers can enter the same tax/vat number?

Hi! @carlo_antonelli 

Have you enabled the auto-check VAT number functionality of Magento? 

If no, then please configure like the following link then this issue will be resolved.

https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/tax/vat-validation.html#customer-registration-workflow

Re: Is it normal that two different customers can enter the same tax/vat number?

First of all thank you for your answer.

With this method i can check if a vat number is compliant with EU standards (the store is in Italy) and assign different customers group automatically. But this validation also check if a customer is already registered in the store with the same vat number when a new registration is submitted (and stop the registraion process)? Because what i need is this check not the validation of the number.

Hello @carlo_antonelli 

As per my knowledge, Magento is only providing this functionality for VAT validation. You need to find some modules or need to do customization in your store to achieve this functionality.

Regards,
Deep

I've tried to implement the TAX Validation but this functionality doesen't solve my problem.

After some research i've found that magento doesen't have this feature.

So i think that the only way to provide this functionality will be to implement a custom module.