cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-store with double identical language

Multi-store with double identical language

Hallo,

I'm setting up a few new languages to our webshop. I own the domains for .nl and .be which both are dutch language.

My initial idea was to create the domain example.nl with two storeviews:

- example.nl

- example.nl/be.

Furthermore I would redirect example.be ot example.nl/be with some htaccess.

1) As i want to display the same text/content on the two storesviews I would like to only insert the text one place. This was not possible for products when I have the two storeviews.

Is this possible in any way?

2) I'm conserned google will punish me for having two identical sites (dublicate content), how can i handle this?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Multi-store with double identical language

1) I don't see why this wouldn't be possible. Just set the text content at the default level and leave the store view level empty/checked to use default and the default values for product information will be used. Enabling the same text to be used across sites. 

2) Yes, this is correct, you would start running into duplicate content issues. To indicate to search engines (Google) that they are duplicate versions of the site tailored to different locales you should implement hreflang, see: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/189077?hl=en

A quick search for hrelfang on the marketplace suggests there might be a few ways of achieving this through extensions available there: https://marketplace.magento.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=hreflang#q=hreflang&idx=m2_cloud_prod_defaul...

----
If you've found one of my answers useful, please give "Kudos" or "Accept as Solution" as appropriate. Thanks!

Re: Multi-store with double identical language

(You tagged as Magento 1 but put your post in the Magento 2 forum section so not sure which one you're looking for a solution for. My marketplace link was for Magento 2 products. There is a filter you can change to find Magento 1 extensions of which there was 1 listed for hreflang). 

----
If you've found one of my answers useful, please give "Kudos" or "Accept as Solution" as appropriate. Thanks!