cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multistore

Multistore

I've been doing a lot of reading on how best to implement multistore in Magento and I'm getting a lot of conflicting information. There doesn't seem to be one single best practice approach to doing this.

I want to have subfolders for my stores; so something along the lines of; mydomain.com/store1, mydomain.com/store2.

I've been following this instruction; 

http://www.hostknox.com/tutorials/magento/multistore

I've added subfolders to the Magento root for each of my websites and copied across index.php and .htaccess. I've changed ownership of the folders and these files using chown to magento:www-data to match the files in root. It's not mentioned in the instructions, but I was getting 403 errors so I expect it's required.

In editing index.php the first problem that I has was that they state to find the line that looks like this;

$mageFilename = MAGENTO_ROOT . '/app/Mage.php';

There is no such line.

I've used the commented example from index.php and added the following lines;

$params[\Magento\Store\Model\StoreManager:Smiley TongueARAM_RUN_CODE] = 'uk';
$params[\Magento\Store\Model\StoreManager:Smiley TongueARAM_RUN_TYPE] = 'website';

uk is the code for my default website.

When I navigate to the store all I get is a blank page.

With do much condradictory, inaccurate and incomplete information out there and no clear documentation from Magento, I'm at a loss to understand how this should work. It all feels very much like a "hack" to make Magento do something that it really wasn't built to do.

I know some people are suggesting the use of symlinks, but there is a lot of information out there that indicated that this is a major security risk and some hosting services do not allow them, so I don't want to go down that route.

There are implementations of multistore out there. How are people doing it? What is best practice for implementing multistore in Magento?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Multistore

Hay just so this question.

I've wrote an article about setting up Magento multistore website

Hope this helps

Thanks

Don Udugala