cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEO and Canonical URLS in Magento 2

SEO and Canonical URLS in Magento 2

Bare with me, I'm a beginner!

I am creating an ecommerce site which sells clothing with lots of different product variations with colour and size.

I am unsure what meta data to be putting in my simple products as they're all the same product but with a different size and colour.

I'll be ensuring my meta data in my configurable product is all good.

After some reading, I think I need to be using Canonical urls?..  If somebody could point me in the direction of a really simple guide on how to do this, I'd be eternally greatful!!

Thankyou

3 REPLIES 3

Re: SEO and Canonical URLS in Magento 2

@laura_turner

On the below URL you can find everything you need to deal with Canonical URL.

http://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/marketing/meta-canonical.html

Problem solved? Please give Kudos and Accept answer as Solution.

- Tarandeep
Problem solved?Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

I agree with @Tarandeep Singh, that guide is everything you need to set up the cannonicals for your store. It is excellent you are doing so, because it will help your SEO.

1 year's not too late to respond to a post, right? 

The issue described here can't be resolved using base Magento functionality. Enabling canonical URLs for products as described in a previous response will only tell search engines that for configurable products, each child product is not a duplicate of other child products and of the parent product. This will result in a lot of duplicate content and will divide any value from the search engine's perspective across the child and parent product pages.

One approach to take would be to find a way to specify the parent product URL as the canonical URL for all child product pages. MageWorx's SEO Suite Ultimate extension can do this, and I'm sure there are others too.

This article explains it better than I do:

https://paulnrogers.com/seo-considerations-for-using-configurable-and-simple-products-in-magento/