cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SKU vs GTIN

SKU vs GTIN

Hi all,

Currently i own a webshop that runs on a different platform. I have automated import scripts that update stocks of my products.

I am exploring the import functions of Magento2. All my product import scripts are based on the GTIN code and not a SKU code. (manufacturer SKU's are not uniek).

Is there a way to base the import on GTIN and not on SKU?

Kind regards,

Meton

3 REPLIES 3

Re: SKU vs GTIN

Could you just use the GTIN as your SKU within Magento? The manufacturer's SKU can then be stored in a different product attribute if you need it. It's a fairly useless SKU if it's not unique! ha. 

----
If you've found one of my answers useful, please give "Kudos" or "Accept as Solution" as appropriate. Thanks!

Hi Tom,

Thx for the reply. Yes the SKU not being uniek is not ideal.

What should i do with the original SKU, add a custom field? And is there a way to change the product views to showing the custom field and not the "SKU".

Kind regards,

Meton

I would just ignore the naming. When Magento talks about an SKU, I would just put your GTIN. You could create a new product attribute for "Manufacturer SKU" if you want to store their SKU in there but as it's not unique, you probably don't need to consider that all unless you wish to show it to customers. 

You can configure every product attribute whether it displays on the product page or not, so hiding/showing SKU/GTIN will not be a problem. 

If this or my previous post has been helpful, please give kudos and/or mark as accepted solution. Many thanks!

----
If you've found one of my answers useful, please give "Kudos" or "Accept as Solution" as appropriate. Thanks!