cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up configurable products without having all products to have images.

Setting up configurable products without having all products to have images.

Hi There,

I'm trying to optimize and understand how to setup a configurable product.

Say I'm selling 2x4 lumber, and this my product structure. I want to only upload 1 set of product images for Oak, Pine and Cedar. All the pictures will look the same, no matter what length or wood treatment they choose, and I do not want magento reload the product images if they choose length or wood treatment.

Do I upload the product image to the lowest ID / highest ID?

I know this product sku is going to be massive, if say I have 20 different lengths, with 3.5 different wood treatment, and 10 different wood type. 20 x 3.5 x 10 = 700 SKU.

Is there a better way to set this up?

Cheers!

2x4 wooden beam
| - Oak
|   | - 1m
|   |    |- Copper treated
|   |    |- Pressure treated
|   |
|   | - 2m
|   |    |- Pressure treated
|   |    |- Zinc treated
|   |
|   | - 10m
|
| - Pine
|
| - Cedar
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Setting up configurable products without having all products to have images.

Hello @AUSMayhem 

You can add the image to the parent product. And To prevent the product image change at the time of selecting the size you need to do the below configuration.

Stores > Configuratation > sales > checkout
Expand the Shopping cart drop down and then do the below configuration.
https://prnt.sc/z6j7XWu-ob2n

If my answer is helpful full then please set the accept solution flag and kudos flag so other members can take the same reference.

Re: Setting up configurable products without having all products to have images.

Can we make the first attribute change, however not the second or third?

In this example, first attribute (wood type), second (length), third (treatment).

You present a very interesting idea! Thank you so much!