cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching Payment Processors

SOLVED

Switching Payment Processors

We're probably going to have to switch payment processors in the very near future. Dissatisfied with our current and need to move to one with better support/policies.

Question is: can I have 2 payment processors in a single 2.3.5 instance? We have only the one store in the instance.

Since we have open orders that still need to be completed/processed through the old vendor, I can't just change my settings to the new processor, because I would lose the ability to invoice and ship the old orders created with my old vendor, wouldn't I?

Since there's no point at which I'd have a situation where there were no incomplete orders - fortunately, we're constantly receiving orders that are in play, I don't have a clear cutover point.

Is this solvable? Perhaps configuring the new vendor to take certain cards or payment types, and the old one to handle others as I whittled down my open orders? (Not ideal since I obviously can't control what payment type my customer chooses...)

Thank you - this one is big for us.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Switching Payment Processors

I can see how completely removing the gateway from the store could be problematic if you still need your Magento instance to use the gateway's APIs for further order fulfillment tasks. 

What if, instead of removing it, you adjust a setting that will stop it from appearing in the checkout? For instance, you could set it up to only be an option for Maximum order totals of $0.01 or Minimum order totals of $999999. Alternatively, you could set it to only appear for a particular country that you don't service.

Best of luck!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

To clarify, what if:

• I leave PayPal for PayPal-payments and
  • Add Stripe for credit card charges

And when I have to further process a PayPal-credit card charge-based older item, I turn off Stripe as a processor for a few minutes, process the older item through PayPal, then turn Stripe back on to continue processing business (hoping that in-between, I don't get an order which would now be on PayPal again...).

Not optimal, but I don't know if there's another way to switch... There has to be a better answer.

If I do have PayPal left on for PayPal-only charges and Stripe on for credit-cards, will I still be able to reach PayPal for older PayPal-bases credit card charges?

Thanks.

I can see how completely removing the gateway from the store could be problematic if you still need your Magento instance to use the gateway's APIs for further order fulfillment tasks. 

What if, instead of removing it, you adjust a setting that will stop it from appearing in the checkout? For instance, you could set it up to only be an option for Maximum order totals of $0.01 or Minimum order totals of $999999. Alternatively, you could set it to only appear for a particular country that you don't service.

Best of luck!

Thanks Robert Rand for the ideas - this is a great approach!

As it happens, I installed and configured the Stripe extension yesterday and we're working with two processors - I didn't think I could do that, but of course they have different priorities - controlling which shows up higher on the screen - and different names.

I changed the name of the PayPal entry to make it less likely anyone would use it for now, and it's much lower on the screen. This is the short term version of what you're suggesting, until I'm sure that I've got Stripe under control and can properly manage their transactions, and then I can switch PayPal off completely as you suggested.

So we're on the way. Thanks for your help.