cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is difference between voiding and canceling an order?

SOLVED

What is difference between voiding and canceling an order?

Hi,

Can anyone please explain what is difference between void and cancel order? And why after voiding the status says processing? Is it must to cancel a voided payment?

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: What is difference between voiding and canceling an order?

Hello @farzana_rashid

Void is in regards to the payment on the order invoice - to void the authorization, for instance - so that the funds aren't subsequently captured. Payments have to be refunded after capture and cannot be voided.

This process is for void the online transaction, if online payment method is used in order then this process will void current transaction and won't be able to further online transaction process for particular order. (For eg: if some order amount is authorize by third party payment gateway and if Admin apply void process he can't be able to capture payment further more) Although in case of void process order will going on smoothly just all process will only offline(i.e offline invoice, offline credit memo).

Cancellation, however, is when the order can no longer be modified. While an order payment might be voided a new invoice can always be generated. Cancellation of an order prevents any future change from being made to it.

This is just order cancellation process. When online payment used with order and amount authorized in this order then. Order cancellation process will call void action for cancel current transaction

If found my answer useful. Please Click Kudos and Accept it as Solution!
Magento Developer
Ankita Biswas

View solution in original post

Hello @farzana_rashid,

Void is in regards to the payment on the order invoice - to void the authorization, for instance - so that the funds aren't subsequently captured. Payments have to be refunded after capture and cannot be voided. This process is for void the online transaction, if online payment method is used in order then this process will void current transaction and won't be able to further online transaction process for particular order. (For eg: if some order amount is authorize by third party payment gateway and if Admin apply void process he can't be able to capture payment further more) Although in case of void process order will going on smoothly just all process will only offline(i.e offline invoice, offline credit memo).

Cancellation, however, is when the order can no longer be modified. While an order payment might be voided a new invoice can always be generated. Cancellation of an order prevents any future change from being made to it.

--
If my answer is useful, please Accept as Solution & give Kudos

Void Transaction: When you shopping online and made payment throught credit or debit card, a payment is processed and the third party payment gateway processor verifies that the customer's account is valid or not and funds are available for customer account before sending a success message to customer.

After verify this procedure is complete the funds are held from customer account and the balance is deducted from the customer's credit/debit account, but not yet transferred to end merchant accounts. So transaction is not settled yet.

An unsettled transaction can be only voided. Once a transaction has been settled it can only be refunded.

Cancellation order means you can't modify any order further. For cancellation If you have paid online, Merchant repayment to your account which you have paid at the time of purchase ite.

If Issue Solved, Click Kudos/Accept As solutions. Get Magento insight from
Magento 2 Blogs/Tutorial

5 REPLIES 5

Hello @farzana_rashid

Void is in regards to the payment on the order invoice - to void the authorization, for instance - so that the funds aren't subsequently captured. Payments have to be refunded after capture and cannot be voided.

This process is for void the online transaction, if online payment method is used in order then this process will void current transaction and won't be able to further online transaction process for particular order. (For eg: if some order amount is authorize by third party payment gateway and if Admin apply void process he can't be able to capture payment further more) Although in case of void process order will going on smoothly just all process will only offline(i.e offline invoice, offline credit memo).

This is just order cancellation process. When online payment used with order and amount authorized in this order then. Order cancellation process will call void action for cancel current transaction

If found my answer useful. Please Click Kudos and Accept it as Solution!
Magento Developer
Ankita Biswas

Hello @farzana_rashid,

Void is in regards to the payment on the order invoice - to void the authorization, for instance - so that the funds aren't subsequently captured. Payments have to be refunded after capture and cannot be voided. This process is for void the online transaction, if online payment method is used in order then this process will void current transaction and won't be able to further online transaction process for particular order. (For eg: if some order amount is authorize by third party payment gateway and if Admin apply void process he can't be able to capture payment further more) Although in case of void process order will going on smoothly just all process will only offline(i.e offline invoice, offline credit memo).

--
If my answer is useful, please Accept as Solution & give Kudos

Void Transaction: When you shopping online and made payment throught credit or debit card, a payment is processed and the third party payment gateway processor verifies that the customer's account is valid or not and funds are available for customer account before sending a success message to customer.

After verify this procedure is complete the funds are held from customer account and the balance is deducted from the customer's credit/debit account, but not yet transferred to end merchant accounts. So transaction is not settled yet.

An unsettled transaction can be only voided. Once a transaction has been settled it can only be refunded.

Cancellation order means you can't modify any order further. For cancellation If you have paid online, Merchant repayment to your account which you have paid at the time of purchase ite.

If Issue Solved, Click Kudos/Accept As solutions. Get Magento insight from
Magento 2 Blogs/Tutorial

@Rakesh Jesadiya  May i know why i am getting this error message "Void Failed: Authorization Not Found" if i try to void the order?

Hi,

I've an order with authorized amount of 3810 and the order was captured with 2368 online via Stripe payment gateway. After that, admin performed a void action and magento displayed a message saying [Voided authorization. Transaction ID: "pi_1IhsAdLKlwjToHyJbAj19Ae0-void"].

However, it was noticed that the void action actually sent a command to Stripe to initiate a refund of 1442 and was successful. At the end, a total of 2884 was refunded!

So, we would like to know why is the VOID action performing a refund operation and how does the VOID action determine the amount to be refunded (in above case, an refund amount of 1442 was initiated).