cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backend depends on Javascript for saving settings

Backend depends on Javascript for saving settings

Feature request from nyov, posted on GitHub Dec 08, 2014

If for some reason the backend broke and the styles/scripts can't be found (in this instance I messed up the base url), there is no fixing things from the backend because settings can't be saved anymore.

It would be nice if Javascript wasn't essential there. (edit; or, if necessary, inline for this one instance)

8 Comments
apiuser
Status changed to: Investigating

apiuser

Comment from safwkhan, posted on GitHub Dec 08, 2014

Curious to know, did you mess up your base url during installation by putting invalid url?

apiuser

Comment from nyov, posted on GitHub Dec 08, 2014

No, I changed it in the backend from vhost.local to vhost.local/directory/ and that didn't go over so well. (Still haven't figured out how to make it work, and changing .htacces' RewriteBase to /directory/ resulted in recursion, though I think that's how I did it in Magento1. Probably missed something, will see how it looks on a fresh install.)

apiuser

Comment from maksek, posted on GitHub Jan 08, 2015

Hi @nyov, do you still face the issue?

apiuser

Comment from nyov, posted on GitHub Jan 09, 2015

I haven't had another instance where the styles and scripts were missing, and I didn't check if the backend layout changed to work without scripts since.

If you feel this is resolved, please close.

apiuser

Comment from vpelipenko, posted on GitHub Jan 29, 2015

Internal ticket: MAGETWO-32233

apiuser

Comment from vpelipenko, posted on GitHub Feb 17, 2015

@nyov, it is known behavior, it is not resolved and we don't expect to see it fixed in the future. Scripts and styles are required things for both frontend and backend. If scripts are missed for some reason as we see in you case, backend becomes not operable.

apiuser

Comment from nyov, posted on GitHub Feb 21, 2015

Well, that's okay. Feel free to close this.

I'm just noticing I didn't say which script I find problematic in the initial ticket. It's the one that submits a form apparently. I could perfectly navigate the broken, unstyled backend, but when I tried to fix the broken base url, the save button simply didn't work! That was frustrating since it was obviously in the html, and I see no reason why it couldn't have a plain html form element submission fallback.

And to be candid, I feel this proliferation of JS-only pages (for things like static links and form submissions, not generated DOM elements or XHR) bad interface design. Also, going back to a magento 1 install, the m2 navigation hover effect feels soo slow, (~ .5 seconds waiting for a drop-down to open/unfold, and in some timing cases failing to open at all) when CSS would be totally enough to achieve this effect without unnecessary fancy delays. Ah, sorry for ranting. If I get too tired of it, I can build my own backend theme after all Smiley Happy

Again, feel free to close. Thanks