cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIX Magento Search Please!

0 Kudos

FIX Magento Search Please!

Feature request from gfxguru, posted on GitHub Jul 24, 2014

The more I think about the unwillingness to repair a major flaw in Magento the more I think about migrating to another platform. I've worked with so many ecommerce platforms that have zero problems with one of the most important storefront features "SEARCH". I've also watch so many customers search a site and leave the site because a search never presented the actually product the customer was looking for but the store possessed.... That is called a flaw! Now I understand it's quite an undertaking, but putting it off or relying of someone else to provide such capabilities is not the solution either. I say we fix the issue and make it a top priority. NOW before 2.0 is released. This is a major issue with magento and if you haven't noticed it yet then you haven't run a store... Period

33 Comments
apiuser
Status changed to: Investigating

apiuser

Comment from mniland, posted on GitHub Jul 24, 2014

100% on target - should be top priority.

apiuser

Comment from JosephMaxwell, posted on GitHub Jul 24, 2014

I agree that the search is very poor at best. We have been using Google SiteSearch, which has been an acceptable alternative, although we do not have the control that we would like. I think most of that can be overcome with more code. It would be very nice to have a free solution to this basic problem.

+1 for this being top priority. Please give the best shopping cart out there the best search.

apiuser

Comment from kuafucode, posted on GitHub Jul 24, 2014

I think solr and the php solr extension should be introduced to magento core and disabled by default, so people who don't need it do not have to worry about setting up additional search server.

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Joseph Maxwell notifications@github.com wrote:

I agree that the search is very poor at best. We have been using Google SiteSearch, which has been an acceptable alternative, although we do not have the control that we would like. I think most of that can be overcome with more code. It would be very nice to have a free solution to this basic problem.

+1 for this being top priority. Please give the best shopping cart out there the best search.

— Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub https://github.com/magento/magento2/issues/622#issuecomment-50020570.

apiuser

Comment from choukalos, posted on GitHub Jul 24, 2014

For Magento 2.0 we're planning on modularizing search and making it easier to customize. For search improvement it's already a high priority ( with a lot of items I'm pushing for ) but there's still debate on when and how those improvements will release. Please keep commenting and specifically state what you want as highest search priority. That'll help us refine prioritization and how we could release in light of other priorities.

So far I see ( 1 for better search results; 1 for more search control ); please get others to comment/weigh in and provide specifics on their top search item to address.

@ryansun currently we're planning on mysql search for CE and SOLR for EE; with hooks for the community to easily support other search engines like sphinx, etc.

@gfxguru when you say more accurate search results do you have something in mind specifically ( based on my research/understanding it's 2 things - weighting control & search reports to identify search terms with no results; i.e. identify the case you're describing with weighting control to address/fix ).

Thanks! Chuck ( I own the Search domain for Magento / Product Management; Any suggestions/ideas to improve please feel free to ping me directly )

apiuser

Comment from gfxguru, posted on GitHub Jul 31, 2014

Why does search work so well on the backend but terrible on the frontend? I don't get it?

apiuser

Does enterprise suffer from such capabilities? no.. neither does prestashop, shopkart, woocommerce, bvcommerce, bigcommerce, shopify or volusion... ok, some better than other true but magento's inability to fetch even something similar to the users search, one must get strategic in creating products. I could talk all day about functionality and capabilities, I think if we just get the better results would be the key. Lets get that right and then an addon's that posses the reporting and weighted results could be an awesome extension I would think.

apiuser

Ok i was a bit harsh, I apologize..To explain, I've been with Magento since it's infancy and this has been my arch nemesis in more way's then I care to explain.

apiuser

Comment from CodeMonkey90, posted on GitHub Aug 04, 2014

@choukalos IMO the top priority (apart from making the default search return reasonable results, which is kind of obvious) should be making both the search process (e.g. weighting of product attributes, filtering out certain products) and the search result page (visual representation, e.g. grouping results by product type/category/etc) as easy to customize as possible. There is no one-size-fits-all solution, so ideally developers should be able to customize Magento's search module without having to rewrite it completely.

apiuser

Comment from kbariotis, posted on GitHub Aug 04, 2014

+1 for making this a top priority and for a more customisable and extensible search module.