cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Uploader Issues

Media Uploader Issues

Feature request from Khaleel, posted on GitHub Jan 11, 2016

Hi

I want to raise some issues on the hideous and bloated Media uploader for Magento 2 and shoot the person who built this pile of crap.

• Cannot upload SVG images
  • Poor UI and UX
  • No indication of uploaded content
  • Firefox has thousands of issues including JS issues with not allowing the upload option to show
  • The upload button is text and should be made to a button
  • No history tracking

It does not even work half the time in Chrome or Firefox. Since the last update the design has also broken and why does it scale full screen to to the right?

19 Comments
apiuser

Comment from Khaleel, posted on GitHub May 17, 2016

@BenSpace48 Precisely I have tested on an Nginx build too. SVG work fine in the server - just cannot upload them!

apiuser

Comment from piotrekkaminski, posted on GitHub May 18, 2016

Internal issue MAGETWO-52993 to address SVG file upload.

apiuser

Comment from piotrekkaminski, posted on GitHub May 31, 2016

Hello. We will fix the error messages to make it more clear in scope of MAGETWO-52993 but allowing upload of SVG files will take more time. SVG files are not currently supported by GD library used by Magento. We would have to move to another library (ImageMagick?) and it requires more changes. The full work is tracked in scope of MAGETWO-53778.

apiuser

Comment from BenSpace48, posted on GitHub Jun 01, 2016

Thank you for the update! 😄

apiuser

Comment from KrystynaKabannyk, posted on GitHub Jun 23, 2016

Hello @Khaleel, this issue has been fixed in the 2.1.0 Release, that's why I'm closing it. If you any questions or additional information regarding the issue feel free to reopen it or create a new one.

apiuser

Comment from piotrekkaminski, posted on GitHub Aug 11, 2016

@Khaleel @BenSpace48 The seems to be a lot of interest in SVG file upload. The problem is security. SVG format can include JavaScript and there are no good protections for it. The only solutions would be to convert it to something (JPEG/PNG) by external process and only then use, but i assume it doesn't make sense to use SVG anymore. It's highly unlikely we will add support for it unless there is major reason. Can you tell me what is reason to use SVG for image upload for you?

apiuser

Comment from BenSpace48, posted on GitHub Aug 12, 2016

@piotrekkaminski That's a good point, I presume that's also why Github doesn't support uploading SVGs to comments.

For our use case we needed to use SVGs for responsive reasons and consistency with the skin icons (all skin icons are SVG). There are quite a few advantages to using SVG over JPG/PNG, just a few are:

• Small size. SVG image elements take up much less space than their twins created in raster format
  • Flexibility, SVGs can easily be animated/changed
  • Scalability without changing the image quality. It is widely used for devices with screens Retina and those close to them

We had to resort to using a JPG which obviously did work but doesn't have the same quality as an SVG.

apiuser

Comment from Khaleel, posted on GitHub Aug 12, 2016

Thanks for the answers @BenSpace48. Also SVG are generally becoming more and more secure. You could possible drop the poor WYSIWYG editor and replace it with one the that validates them better. I noticed TinyMCE has issues with Arabic and other languages.

I agree though, SVG is really the way to go with Front End Development; beyond retina the quality is superior and it is being adopted across the web. @piotrekkaminski it seems your more of a Back End Developer as you would have placed them in by default.

apiuser

Comment from Ctucker9233, posted on GitHub Aug 14, 2016

I look forward to being able to use SVG's. It's a must have for quality responsive design.