cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Configurable product - selecting existing simple products manually?

New Configurable product - selecting existing simple products manually?

Feature request from tadhgbowe, posted on GitHub Nov 30, 2015

I am creating a new Configurable product via the Admin Panel (based on color). My simple products (children) already exist via a product import. When I click on "Edit Configurations" it takes me down the path of creating new simple variations. I don't want to do this. I simply want to select the existing products.

Interestingly if I go ahead and generate some simple variations via the "Edit Configurations" after the product save I can see a new link "Add Products Manually" beside "Edit Configurations". That's what I want to see the first time around after I inform it that the new configurable product is based on color.

The "Edit Configurations" wizard needs to allow me to select existing products after I've told it what configurable attributes I'm working with e.g. color or size.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks Tadhg

(1)
25 Comments
apiuser
Status changed to: Investigating

apiuser

Comment from p3mbo, posted on GitHub Mar 04, 2016

+1 - this seems like a fundamental flaw in the configurable logic.

apiuser

Comment from RebeccaLTroth, posted on GitHub Mar 04, 2016

+1 - Had the same issue. Definitely needs some love.

apiuser

Comment from kandy, posted on GitHub Mar 08, 2016

@p3mbo, @RebeccaBrocton Can I ask you to review answer from #2703 issue?

apiuser

Comment from RebeccaLTroth, posted on GitHub Mar 08, 2016

@kandy This doesn't seem like a solution, more of a hacky work-around?

apiuser

Comment from jBOKA, posted on GitHub May 18, 2016

@kandy I also don't think this is solved. I adressed the problem again in https://github.com/magento/magento2/issues/2703 and described what our problem is. I think I'm on the same path as @RebeccaBrocton here.

apiuser

Comment from pboisvert, posted on GitHub May 18, 2016

Anton--please check this flow with the UX team

apiuser

Comment from antboiko, posted on GitHub May 19, 2016

Hello @tadhgbowe @p3mbo @RebeccaBrocton @jBOKA.

Please let me provide some clarifications. As for now, "Add products manually" isn't available until user defines attributes within "Create/Edit Configurations" wizard. Once it's done "Add Products Manually" appears. As a suggestion, no need to select all values for attributes on Step 2 if user is going to replace them with already existing Simple Products anyway. In other words, user can generate one configuration, then replace it with already existing one and continue adding others manually. I hope this will help.

Additionally, we have internal ticket MAGETWO-50639 in our backlog to revise the flow for configurable product.

Best, Anton.

apiuser

Comment from jBOKA, posted on GitHub May 19, 2016

Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate it!

apiuser

Comment from tadhgbowe, posted on GitHub May 24, 2016

Hi All.

I'm happy to see interest in this issue. antboiko from your comment:

In other words, user can generate one configuration, then replace it with already existing one and continue adding others manually.

I'm sorry this is unacceptable. On Step 2 of Create Configurations we should have the option to "it's okay I don't need to set up new simple variations, they already exist, I just want to select them manually now"

Having to create one unnecessary configuration first will be a headache for clients. Even if they do they have to be careful not to remove that first because the select manually button disappears if there are no associations. Oh it's all fun! :-)

Thanks Tadhg