Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please add option to avoid merging of cart on login of customer

0 Kudos

Feature request from seansan, posted on GitHub Mar 16, 2015

Many customers just do not understand

Something like this https://github.com/jacquesbh/jbh_cartmerge http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5638173/how-do-i-stop-magento-merging-the-basket-on-login http://www.blog.magepsycho.com/clear-abandoned-cart-items-during-login-in-magento/

9 Comments
apiuser
Status changed to: Investigating

apiuser

Comment from asemenenko, posted on GitHub Mar 17, 2015

Hi Seansan,

Based on what is requested i assume problem can be resolved in two ways:

1. Replace the old cart content with new "guest" cart.
  2. Ask customer if he or she wants to merge or replace the previous items instead of just dropping those.

Above can be controlled by a parameter.

/regards

apiuser

Comment from waynetheisinger, posted on GitHub Mar 17, 2015

:+1: this is sorely needed - in our user tests the behaviour in Magento1 ALWAYS annoys the tester

apiuser

Hi Waynetheisinger,

It is better to run A/B testing on this in order to set proper default parameter value. QA/Tester is not the best source of decision :-)

/regards

apiuser

I have just realised I misread your post, but how I misread it, is I think, better than what you were in actual fact suggesting.

I thought you were saying that Magento 2 would now have the concept of a guest cart and an account cart, and when the customer checked out, they would be presented with a choice: (wording would need to be better written but off the top of my head)

You have items both in your present cart. But you also have items stored in a previous cart. Would you like to:

1. Continue with your present items
  2. Merge your saved items into your present purchase
apiuser

I think its always better to give customers the power - however for store owners who want to dictate the behaviour, which decision favoured could also be set, and locked, in admin which would remove the customer's prompt and choice.

apiuser

Thanks for a quick reply.

I suggest to have a parameter in system configuration, something like this: [Shopping Cart] Cart Action on Log-in = Automatically replace cart content/Ask customer

Default value for the parameter still needs to be defined.

In this case merchant can choose whether to just replace the cart without adding an extra step or ask the customer to make a decision.

apiuser

Improvement is captured in the MAGETWO-20045

apiuser

Comment from seansan, posted on GitHub Mar 17, 2015

Euh don't forget the original request

Option 3: do not ask. And don't merge.

Important!

Sent from my iPhone.

On 17 Mar 2015, at 11:03, Andrii Semenenko notifications@github.com wrote:

Thanks for a quick reply.

I suggest to have a parameter in system configuration, something like this: [Shopping Cart] Cart Action on Log-in = Automatically replace cart content/Ask customer

Default value for the parameter still needs to be defined.

In this case merchant can choose whether to just replace the cart without adding an extra step or ask the customer to make a decision.

— Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub.