Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for ability to add new cart rule action - type cart id

0 Kudos

Feature request from seansan, posted on GitHub Jul 25, 2015

Now it is not possible to give a discount on the FIRST item only

For instance we have a deal: the first T-shirt with 50% off ... (as a try out)

If the cart ID can be used in a rule action then this is possible

Concrete: please add cart id as a new rule type

9 Comments
apiuser
Status changed to: Investigating

apiuser

Comment from mbrinton01, posted on GitHub Jul 27, 2015

Hello @seansan, thank you for your question. I'm not sure I understand fully from your description. Can you clarify what you are trying to do?

Would you like to give a discount on the first product that is added to the cart in a session? Would you like to give a discount to a customer on the first time they purchase a particular product?

Also can you explain how cart ID would be useful in these scenarios? It doesn't seem to apply to the order that items are placed in the cart.

apiuser

Comment from seansan, posted on GitHub Jul 27, 2015

Would you like to give a discount on the first product that is added to the cart in a session?

Yes

.... Or The 3rd or the 10th

And I wasnt referring to cart id. But rather the id of the item in the cart. Where the lowest number id is probably the first product added

I hope this clarifies it

Sent from my iPhone.

On 27 Jul 2015, at 19:48, Mark Brinton notifications@github.com wrote:

Would you like to give a discount on the first product that is added to the cart in a session?

apiuser

Comment from mbrinton01, posted on GitHub Jul 27, 2015

Thank you, I think I understand now what you are asking to do. Can you provide the business reason why you need this feature? Is it because you want to be able to offer a trial product to customers that is discounted? Or do you want to provide a discount on the first product when they buy more than one?

apiuser

Comment from seansan, posted on GitHub Jul 27, 2015

Is it because you want to be able to offer a trial product to customers that is discounted?

In Fashion it is very normal to give a discount based on qty of items (like the first product, or the 3rd) Secondly when introducing new clothing you would want a step-in variant. So we offer our clients 50% the first product they try. (hoping that they will come back). Also even when they buy 3 at once or even 6. We still offer the first product with 50% off.

Or do you want to provide a discount on the first product when they buy more than one? No this is not then intention. But it does happen they obtain a 50% for the first product discount code (again). This is why we enabled the usage of the specific coupon to use it twice. Often the first order is 1 shirt with 50% discount. The second 6 shirts with the first shirt with 50% discount. After that they are fans --- and returnign customers (and dont use the code anymore)

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 8:03 PM, Mark Brinton notifications@github.com wrote:

Thank you, I think I understand now what you are asking to do. Can you provide the business reason why you need this feature? Is it because you want to be able to offer a trial product to customers that is discounted? Or do you want to provide a discount on the first product when they buy more than one?

— Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub https://github.com/magento/magento2/issues/1564#issuecomment-125289657.

apiuser

Comment from mbrinton01, posted on GitHub Jul 28, 2015

Is the add to cart order important, or just that the customer get a discount? For example, as a customer if I am offered a 50% discount on the first item I add to the cart when I buy >1 item, I will add an expensive item to the cart first, followed by a cheap item.

It sounds like you just want the ability to:

• Choose a discount that is either a fixed amount or percentage
  • Apply it to only one product in the cart
  • When the cart contains a total quantity >1 across all products in the cart
  • With the ability to decide which product it applies to - examples could be: order added to cart, most expensive, least expensive, etc.

Is that correct? Also, does this page describe the same feature you are requesting, or is your request different?

apiuser

Comment from seansan, posted on GitHub Jul 29, 2015

Is the add to cart order important, or just that the customer get a discount? For example, as a customer if I am offered a 50% discount on the first item I add to the cart when I buy >1 item, I will add an expensive item to the cart first, followed by a cheap item

Using conditions you set the scope the first item discount applies to. Often is only 1 type of product. But yes if the above were the case then the customer could do that. But that's fine. See it more as a method to plut at least 1 item in cart (if qty >1 then how great is that: it worked)

• YES Choose a discount that is either a fixed amount or percentage
  • YES Apply it to only one product in the cart
  • YES - ONLY FIRST OR SECOND ETC When the cart contains a total quantity

1 across all products in the cart

• MOST AND LEAST SOUNDS AS AN IMPROVEMENT BUT YES With the ability to decide which product it applies to - examples could be: order added to cart, most expensive, least expensive, etc.

Is that correct? Also, does this page http://magento.stackexchange.com/questions/30326/apply-discount-to-only-1-item-in-the-cart-via-shopp... describe the same feature you are requesting, or is your request different? YES

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Mark Brinton notifications@github.com wrote:

Is the add to cart order important, or just that the customer get a discount? For example, as a customer if I am offered a 50% discount on the first item I add to the cart when I buy >1 item, I will add an expensive item to the cart first, followed by a cheap item.

• Choose a discount that is either a fixed amount or percentage
  • Apply it to only one product in the cart
  • When the cart contains a total quantity >1 across all products in the cart
  • With the ability to decide which product it applies to - examples could be: order added to cart, most expensive, least expensive, etc.

Is that correct? Also, does this page http://magento.stackexchange.com/questions/30326/apply-discount-to-only-1-item-in-the-cart-via-shopp... describe the same feature you are requesting, or is your request different?

— Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub https://github.com/magento/magento2/issues/1564#issuecomment-125673345.

apiuser

Comment from mbrinton01, posted on GitHub Mar 31, 2016

Updated internal owner for this issue

apiuser

Comment from tkacheva, posted on GitHub May 19, 2016

Added to promotion backlog. internal ticket MAGETWO-40831