cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skip Luma theme when compiling static resources

0 Kudos

Skip Luma theme when compiling static resources

Feature request from devdesco-ceo, posted on GitHub Jan 19, 2016

I have a situation where I have custom theme (Porto, based off blank theme) installed and active, and prepackaged Luma theme is not active anywhere in my Magento stores, so no need to trigger compilation on it. BWT when I run static content compiler, both Magento/blank, Magento/luma and Smartwave/porto are being compiled. That would be fine, but I am compiling 6 locales for my multistore/multilang setup, and that takes awhile, believe me!

The command I trigger: php ./bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy en_US fr_FR de_DE pt_PT es_ES it_IT

What can I do to pass a command to compiler to skip compilation of Magento/luma?

29 Comments
apiuser
Status changed to: Investigating

apiuser

Comment from buskamuza, posted on GitHub Jan 28, 2016

Hi @devdesco-ceo ,

just wanted to inform you that we're discussing this question. It is obviously, an important one. Unfortunately, right now it's impossible to skip a theme.

apiuser

Comment from devdesco-ceo, posted on GitHub Jan 29, 2016

Please make it an option in bin/magento console script.

apiuser

Comment from alankent, posted on GitHub Jan 29, 2016

(If you want a short term hack, you can delete the Luma theme directory under 'vendor' so Magento does not see it any more. Make sure you run the CLI to uninstall the theme as well so it disappears from database etc. http://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.0/install-gde/install/cli/install-cli-theme-uninstall.html. Yes, we need a better solution, but it may remove some immediate pain.)

apiuser

Comment from devdesco-ceo, posted on GitHub Feb 01, 2016

CLI theme uninstall will not work since it is intended for use only with composer installed themes. Smiley Sad

apiuser

Comment from alankent, posted on GitHub Feb 04, 2016

You might get away by just deleting the directory. Did you try that? There is a 'themes' table that gets lazily populated by theme names (when you go to the Admim page). So if you delete the Luma directory before you go to that page in the Admin, I think you should be fine. (Or write the one-line SQL script to delete the row from the table - that is what I was hoping the CLI command would do for you, forgetting that it also updates the composer.json file.)

apiuser

Comment from devdesco-ceo, posted on GitHub Feb 05, 2016

yes, just deleting all "luma" directories helped.

apiuser

Comment from jasperzeinstra, posted on GitHub Feb 12, 2016

I also have a theme based on blank theme. But i'm not using blank or luma theme in any of my shops. For now i've only got two languages. But will be more in the future. I have to wait for static content deployment of blank and luma theme twice. But non of the shops is using these files.

We don't want to add extra deployment time to our process. So i'm really awaiting a solution for this problem. My static content deployment now takes about half an hour. I can imagine how long Viktor has to wait with 6 languages.

+1 for a solution. This long waiting time is unnecessary.

apiuser

Comment from pivulic, posted on GitHub Feb 19, 2016

We have 16 stores with 11 different languages, it takes us ~1h 40 minutes... So yes, +1 for a solution.

apiuser

Comment from devdesco-ceo, posted on GitHub Feb 29, 2016

On everage it takes about one and half hour form me to compile 7 languages with 14 storefronts