cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command Safety! If It's safe to use following commands on a Production website

Command Safety! If It's safe to use following commands on a Production website

Hi Community, 

The website is in production and I am trying to minify and merge CSS and JS. My question is if it is safe to do this via command line in production mode?

and it its better to use following in Mysql 

UPDATE `core_config_data` SET `value`='1' WHERE `path`='dev/js/minify_files';
UPDATE `core_config_data` SET `value`='1' WHERE `path`='dev/js/merge_files';
UPDATE `core_config_data` SET `value`='1' WHERE `path`='dev/css/minify_files';
UPDATE `core_config_data` SET `value`='1' WHERE `path`='dev/css/merge_css_files';

or 

SSH to root and use these commands instead:

bin/magento config:set dev/js/minify_files 1
bin/magento config:set dev/js/merge_files 1
bin/magento config:set dev/css/minify_files 1
bin/magento config:set dev/css/merge_files 1

Thank you 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Command Safety! If It's safe to use following commands on a Production website

It's better to use Magento CLI

php bin/magento config:set dev/css/merge_css_files 1
php bin/magento config:set dev/css/minify_files 1

php bin/magento config:set dev/js/merge_files 1
php bin/magento config:set dev/js/minify_files 1

Do not forget to deploy your static content and flush cache using following commands;

php bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy
chmod 777 -R var pub generated
php bin/magento cache:flush
Note: before making any changes please make a backup of your website (code + database)

Re: Command Safety! If It's safe to use following commands on a Production website

I agree with @TutorialMagento.

It is always better to use the CLI instead of running SQL commands directly as there is a slight risk that you may have formatted the command incorrectly and corrupt the database. 

And yes, you should definitely take a backup before you do this in production. If you can, try it first in your staging environment (set one up if you don't have one) before pushing it to production. 

i JLHC,

Thank you for your reply. When I am running the first command through CLI, I hit an error:

SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1205 Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction, query was: UPDATE `mguj_core_config_data` SET `scope` = ?, `scope_id` = ?, `path` = ?, `value` = ? WHERE (config_id=835)

Any ideas? 

Depending on how high or low the innodb_lock_wait_timeout is set in your my.cnf, you may want to consider increasing it for your server. 

I do hope that you are testing this in a staging environment and not in production.