cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does language packs affect M2 performance?

Does language packs affect M2 performance?

Just wondering here... Do installed language packs affect latest M2 performance?

If it does or would affect performance in what way and by how much?

Anything definitive or quantifiable?

How many languages can be installed before it starts to seriously affect performance?

This is with reference to a very high end vps 6gb ram running latest M2 with only about 150SKUs and I am wondering if for example having 6 languages would affect performance and if worth it.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Does language packs affect M2 performance?

As far as I understand, language strings are just sitting there in the filesystem and doing nothing, unless they are called for through a Store View. So installing numerous language packs while having only 1 Store View does not impact performance. Having multiple Store Views does have an impact on performance, but the language strings are only partially involved here. The impact of multiple Store Views on database performance is much bigger. Note that language strings are optimized anyway through a special cache, so make sure to have that cache enabled. My short answer to "Do language packs affect M2 performance?" would be "Yes, but only minimally".

Yireo:

Thank you for your response.

Well, if one were to install say 6 language packs to show on the front end of their magento 2 store, then that would mean 6 different store views right?

Or can people browsing that store simple choose from one of the languages installed without the need for 6 different store views?

The idea here is for a multilingual and multicurrency store to grab broader audience but not necessarily producing unique language specific content and pages. Literally the same English page translated into the other 5 languages.

There is the google translate widget option too I guess. Would this affect performance in anyway?

Anyone?

Yes, but very less.

This can be further minimized by implementing various cache mechanism and CDN so that a user feel the lag only when they surf an uncached page.

Apart from this, it will be better if you can ask a precise question as the scope of your current question is very wide.

Thank you Sourabh for your response.

I was thinking of implementing redis+litemage on top of default m2 cache plus using cdn and optimising site as much as possible to get fastest loads. However, what is not quite clear to me is how to go about showing 6+ languages on the store front with minimal performance hit.

The previous poster was talking about store views and my questions to him remain unanswered:

Well, if one were to install say 6 language packs to show on the front end of their magento 2 store, would that mean 6 different store views OR would it be possible to allow viewers the choice to choose from any of the 6 languages but in a single store view?

The idea here is for a multilingual and multicurrency store to grab broader audience but not necessarily producing unique language specific content and pages. Literally the same English page translated into the other 5 languages with nothing unique to a specific language.

There is the google translate widget option too I guess. Would this affect performance in anyway?