cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Anyone Experienced Performance Issues When Using Magento on an Intel i5 Processor Laptop?

Has Anyone Experienced Performance Issues When Using Magento on an Intel i5 Processor Laptop?

Hi Magento Community,

I’m hoping to tap into the collective wisdom here regarding a performance issue I've been encountering. I’ve recently started working on a Magento project, and I’m currently developing and testing the site on my laptop, which has an Intel i5 processor laptop. I’m curious to see if anyone else has had similar experiences and how they might have resolved them.

My current setup includes:

• Processor: Intel Core i5 (8th Gen)
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • Storage: 512 GB SSD
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Magento Version: Magento 2.4.6 (latest stable release as of now)
  • Local Development Environment: XAMPP with PHP 7.4 and MySQL 8

Given this setup, I expected a fairly smooth development experience, but I’ve run into several issues that are affecting productivity. The main problems seem to be:

1. Slow Page Loads:
    • Both the admin and frontend pages of Magento are loading very slowly. What typically takes a few seconds on a more powerful machine can take up to a minute or more on my laptop. This includes everything from navigating through the admin panel to loading product pages on the frontend.
  2. High CPU Usage:
    • The Magento application is causing high CPU usage, often reaching 70-90% during various operations. This is particularly noticeable when performing tasks like indexing or running cron jobs.
  3. Delayed Indexing:
    • Indexing operations are significantly delayed, sometimes taking hours to complete. This issue has been persistent even after trying to optimize the indexing process.
  4. Database Performance:
    • MySQL queries seem to be running slowly. I've checked the database performance, and while it’s optimized to some extent, there still seem to be bottlenecks causing delays.
  5. General Lag:
    • There's a general lag and unresponsiveness in the Magento admin panel, especially when navigating between different sections or performing administrative tasks.

Steps Taken So Far:

1. Increased PHP Memory Limit:
    • I’ve adjusted the php.ini settings to increase the memory limit, but it hasn’t significantly improved performance.
  2. Database Optimization:
    • Performed regular maintenance tasks such as optimizing tables and checking for slow queries. I’ve also tried using tools like phpMyAdmin to optimize the database.
  3. Caching:
    • Implemented various caching mechanisms, including Magento’s built-in cache and additional tools like Redis. Despite this, the performance issues persist.
  4. Development Environment:
    • I’ve tried running Magento in different local development environments, including Docker and native setups, but the performance issues remain.
  5. Upgraded Hardware:
    • Considering that an Intel i5 is mid-range, I’m wondering if upgrading to a higher spec machine would solve the problem, but I’d prefer to avoid that if possible.

I appreciate any advice or insights you can share. I’m looking for practical solutions that can help me improve the performance of Magento on my current setup. If you’ve faced similar issues and have found effective ways to overcome them, I’d love to hear about your experiences.

Thanks in advance for your help!