cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 2 Site Either Works Super Quick and Responsive, Or Very Slow and Crashes

Magento 2 Site Either Works Super Quick and Responsive, Or Very Slow and Crashes

Hi Guys

I upgraded my site from M1 - M2 (2.3.4) in late Dec 2020. My website catalogue has over 1 million SKU's in it, my host has provided me with a custom Dedicated server:

- Dual Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3
- 32GB Memory
- 4x 480GB SSD RAID 10
- Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

The website seems to work in only 2 ways, either super quick and responsive or Very slow and crashes.

The searches either work Quick or VERY VERY Slow. I currently am using Sphinx search with a pluggin from Mirsavit. There are also only a few pluggins installed, one of which generates a shopping feed for Google Merchant Centre, the other is an Abandoned Cart email reminder plugin. My developers and Hosts have been through it all and can't figure out what is causing this issue.

Anyone got any advice on where I can start looking myself? Or know of anyone who I can hire to look at this issue for me.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Magento 2 Site Either Works Super Quick and Responsive, Or Very Slow and Crashes

Forgot to add the website is: www.sparetoolparts.co.uk

Re: Magento 2 Site Either Works Super Quick and Responsive, Or Very Slow and Crashes

Hello, I suggest to manually disable suspected magento 2 plugins that may cause your website slow one by one and test if the website speed improved after disabling it.

Have you tried that?

I just visited your website and it loads quite fast, the only slow part is search function.

You may try disabling the Magento 2 search plugin installed on your website to figure out if that's the issue.

Is there a specific reason that you are using Sphinx search instead of Elasticsearch? 

Elasticsearch is supported by Magento out of the box so you do not have to resort to another third-party module/plugin. 

Hello

I've just installed Elastic Search rather than Sphinx so the searches will run quickly until the Website falls over!

I just might have to try the disabling of the pluggins and see how it goes. Is this the best strategy though or can we pinpoint the issue any other way?

Hello

I've now changed over to Elastic search thing morning, as was made aware of an issue that sounds the exact same as mine on a Github thread, which suggests I upgrade to Elastic.

I have now done this but my site has crashed 3 times today so far :-(

I really need to get this sorted any advice would be great, or even recommendations of a developer or company who could sort this for me.

Are you a developer or do you have a developer? 

What about server management? Who is managing the server? 

It sounds like you will need someone to troubleshoot this from two point of view - the codes and the server. 

Hello

I have a hosting company and the developers who migrated my site in Dec 2020.

The host is pulling data and looking at what processes that are running etc, but I'm not sure how much good that will do me, the developers are saying I should upgrade to Magento 2.4

But I would rather not until I am certain this will fix the issue. Can anyone advise on what Info I need to get from the host so I can look at getting a different developer to delve into the issues.

On the latest outage my host captured this data:

At the height of the crash: 0 free ram

https://dx3webs.tinytake.com/tt/NTE2MjEzOF8xNjE3MzA1Nw

During the slow down .. 

load is HUGE 242/8

There are 3 extremely large php processes taking ~8gb alone

mysql is using 9gb

ES is using ~2gb

Once they kill the PHP processes the RAM returns and the site is back up. 

Then they are saying a load of Back Logged Cron Jobs run

Where would I/my Host/Developer need to look to find out what these 3 x PHP processes were?

Get a better server. You can have a 3 times better for 100$. Look at hetzner.