cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced JavaScript bundling: "ReferenceError: XMLHttpRequest is not defined" during "r.js -o"

SOLVED

Advanced JavaScript bundling: "ReferenceError: XMLHttpRequest is not defined" during "r.js -o"

I'm following the guide for advanced bundling of JavaScript (https://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.3/performance-best-practices/advanced-js-bundling.html) but when I'm running the "r.js -o" command to perform the actual bundling (https://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.3/performance-best-practices/advanced-js-bundling.html#part-2-...) I get the following error:

ReferenceError: XMLHttpRequest is not defined
In module tree:
    mage/dataPost
      Magento_Ui/js/modal/confirm
        Magento_Ui/js/modal/modal
          text

at createRequest (eval at <anonymous> (/path/to/webshop/node_modules/requirejs/bin/r.js:27737:33), <anonymous>:70:19)

at /path/to/webshop/node_modules/requirejs/bin/r.js:28332:19
    at /path/to/webshop/node_modules/requirejs/bin/r.js:3059:39
    at /path/to/webshop/node_modules/requirejs/bin/r.js:2999:25
    at Function.prim.nextTick (/path/to/webshop/node_modules/requirejs/bin/r.js:28083:9)
    at Object.errback (/path/to/webshop/node_modules/requirejs/bin/r.js:2998:26)

Has anyone run into this error, is there any knowledge/experience to share about this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Advanced JavaScript bundling: "ReferenceError: XMLHttpRequest is not defined" during &

Ok, I've finally got this working after sustaining majors headaches.

The original problem with the XMLHttpRequest was fixed by using the RequireJS default text-loader "requirejs/test", instead of the magento one.

I've dropped the idea of bundling anything from the Magento_Ui module because it wouldn't work (is gets mapped or loaded differently because of some Magento magic). This also accounts for most of the files from the "/lib/web/..." directory.

Next I've added a new "requirejs-config-optimized.js" file that I load after the regular "requirejs-config.js" file in which I write the bundle eventual RequireJS configuration for the bundles.

Then I added some magic to remove/exclude components that have a mixin defined on it from the bundle definition, because bundling a component that has a mixin defined on it doesn't work.

It was quite a hell of a work, but now I've got a gulp-task to optimize the assets after "setup:static-content:deploy" and before we wrap the codebase and deploy it on production. It is however sad that I cannot (yet) bundle assets from "/lib/web/..." and Magento_Ui because that still accounts for a big payload.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Advanced JavaScript bundling: "ReferenceError: XMLHttpRequest is not defined" during &

Hello @klaas_werkt

Your error seems duplicate of below shared error:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32604460/xmlhttprequest-module-not-defined-found

Please try this if this help, Thanks

Manish Mittal
https://www.manishmittal.com/

@Manish MittalI know Google, and I know that the XMLHttpRequest is an object within the web browser.

This problem is not a duplicate, but specifc to the usage of r.js wirth the config that is provided by the Magento guide. The problem is I get this error when running a command-line tool, so this tool should not perform a XHR. I can't figure out why this would happen as this r.js optimizer is designed to be executed from the command line (or on a node server if you will).

I found that require.js uses XHR to load text files. These are html template files, which can also be dependencies for modules, such as:

'text!ui/template/collection.html'

If any of these dependencies needs to loaded require.js - and apparently also r.js (the optimizer) - uses an XHR to load the asset. Which of course breaks on th e command-line.

So I wonder how the guide on https://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.3/performance-best-practices/advanced-js-bundling.html could ever work. Anyone who managed to get this working?

Ok, so I'm a little futher and found the culprit:

The Magento "build.js" configuration (and the automatically generated "requirejs-config.js" aswell) contain the following line to load a text module:

'text': 'mage/requirejs/text',

This module is used to load the previously mentioned text files (html files) such as:

'text!Magento_Tax/template/checkout/minicart/subtotal/totals.html'

.. and replace the require-js default text loader:

'text': 'requirejs/text',

This magento version of the text loader uses XHR to load the text assets. Also in the r.js optimization - which is ran on the command-line, that doesn't support XHR ofcourse.

Logically, I could switch to using the default require-js text loader (as in the example of @antonkril: https://github.com/antonkril/magento-rjs-config) however, this break upon trying to load certain assets that are not present in the the directory after deploying static content. For example:

'text!ui/template/tooltip/tooltip.html'

There is no such directory "path/to/theme/en_US/ui". But this asset is required as such in both the "Advancend JavaScript bundling" guide as the example by Anton Kril. (The mentoined file can be found in "path/to/theme/en_US/Magento_UI/templates/tooltip/tooltip.html").

Anyone any idea how to get this working on Magento 2.2.6?

Ok, so now a little further yet and overcome the problems above by rewriting:

'text': 'mage/requirejs/text',

to:

'text': 'requirejs/text',

This resolves correctly now and I can generate optimized bundles.

In the guide however a method is used to append the bundle definitions to the requirejs-config.js (https://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.3/performance-best-practices/advanced-js-bundling.html#part-2-..., step 4). This works on my machine aswell, so far so good. But when I view any page on the frontend, this file (requirejs-config.js) is regenerated. Without the bundle definitions.

I know the guide is written for Magento 2.3, so maybe this functionality is changed in there, but how can this be overcome on Magento 2.2.6? Should I impeed the re-generation of the requirejs-config.js file? Can I do so without repercussion?

Ok, I've finally got this working after sustaining majors headaches.

The original problem with the XMLHttpRequest was fixed by using the RequireJS default text-loader "requirejs/test", instead of the magento one.

I've dropped the idea of bundling anything from the Magento_Ui module because it wouldn't work (is gets mapped or loaded differently because of some Magento magic). This also accounts for most of the files from the "/lib/web/..." directory.

Next I've added a new "requirejs-config-optimized.js" file that I load after the regular "requirejs-config.js" file in which I write the bundle eventual RequireJS configuration for the bundles.

Then I added some magic to remove/exclude components that have a mixin defined on it from the bundle definition, because bundling a component that has a mixin defined on it doesn't work.

It was quite a hell of a work, but now I've got a gulp-task to optimize the assets after "setup:static-content:deploy" and before we wrap the codebase and deploy it on production. It is however sad that I cannot (yet) bundle assets from "/lib/web/..." and Magento_Ui because that still accounts for a big payload.

I had similar issues. Thank you for your detailed posts. It helped.

Thanks for sharing this.

I run to the error in part 2 step 4 of the guide. After adding the code that configures requirejs to use bundles which is: 

onModuleBundleComplete: function (data) {
   function onBundleComplete (config, data) {
       const fileName = `${config.dir}/requirejs-config.js`;
       const bundleConfig = {};
       bundleConfig[data.name] = data.included;
       bundleConfig[data.name] = bundleConfig[data.name].map(bundle => bundle.replace(/\.js$/, ''));
       const contents = `require.config({
           bundles: ${JSON.stringify(bundleConfig)},
       });`;
       fs.appendFile(fileName, contents);
   }
   onBundleComplete(config, data);
}

i get following error after running r.js -o command: 

Error: TypeError [ERR_INVALID_CALLBACK]: Callback must be a function
    at maybeCallback (fs.js:128:9)

Please, help!

Found this: 

onModuleBundleComplete: function (data) {
   function onBundleComplete (config, data) {
       const fileName = `${config.dir}/requirejs-config.js`;
       const bundleConfig = {};
       bundleConfig[data.name] = data.included;
       bundleConfig[data.name] = bundleConfig[data.name].map(bundle => bundle.replace(/\.js$/, ''));
       const contents = `require.config({
           bundles: ${JSON.stringify(bundleConfig)},
       });`;
       fs.appendFile(fileName, contents, function (err) {
              if (err) throw err;
              console.log('Saved!');
            });
   }
   onBundleComplete(config, data);
}

Link