cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy a theme or create your own?

Buy a theme or create your own?

Magento newbie, but developer last 30 years (mostly backend). Taking my e-com from Prestashop to Magento but can't decide about the frontend. Honestly don't have that many requirements on special-special, just a plain storefront. Actually Luma with a couple of modules would be ok. Thinking more of what would be best long term...

• Buy a theme. Quickest solution, yes, but I will probably have a lot of functionality that I will not use. Hate bloated code... Any recomendations?
  • Start with Luma, buy a couple of nice modules and just go from there
  • Hm, Less --> Sass. Maybe smartest to start with Snowdog's new blank sass theme. Isn't that the future of M2, or? But it smells a lot of work, doesn't. I want to sell, not be a frontend developer primarily.

Best

/L

1 REPLY 1

Re: Buy a theme or create your own?

If there is a possibility to develop your own theme by extending Luma, it would be great.

From my experience, the majority of themes come with:

1. you'll feel like you're in hell while trying to modify CSS because majority of themes have code-generated CSS (for functionalities like changing font/color of various items from Magento Admin).

2. tightly coupled code - if you change something, you'll be probably in trouble

3. too many features which you do not need

4. performance bottlenecks because of poor development practice (at least what I saw)

5. potential security issues which could come with extensions which are not validated by Magento

Again, this is from my experience.

If this response was helpful to you, consider giving kudos to this post.
If this response solved your problem, click accept as solution to help others solve this issue