cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Footer Customization

Footer Customization

Like to have an extensive footer - you know like whats on the bottom of this page with multiple rows & columns etc....  

Is this to be done entirely through the admin / block section after removing the standard items?

OR is it or can it be done by extending a layout and totally replacing the footer-container with one file?

I can not find any helpful tutorial on this online - they all seem to reference directories/ files which are not present in my install.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Footer Customization

For example, you can change a template for a standard block with a layout directive: https://mage2.pro/t/66

Ok I have successfully added code to my default.xml file and rendered blocks to the page....

Code is as follows ....

<referenceContainer name="footer">
            <container name="footer.col.wrapper" htmlTag="div" htmlClass="footer-col-wrapper" before="-">
                <block type="cms/block" class="Magento\Cms\Block\Block" name="footer_list" after="footer_links">
                    <arguments>
                        <argument name="block_id" xsi:type="string">footer_list</argument>
                    </arguments>
                </block>

<block type="cms/block" class="Magento\Cms\Block\Block" name="site_copyright" after="footer_list">
                    <arguments>
                        <argument name="block_id" xsi:type="string">site_copyright</argument>
                    </arguments>
                </block>
            </container>
        </referenceContainer>

I have two blocks called there - four columns of footer links and then a second one which is a row for the copyright ....     I had to disable the newsletter as I was unable to figure out how to remove it and add it back as block ...

So - can you assist with the code to remove the newsletter instead of disabling it?      Also I would like to know how I can add divs below / after the footer instead of having to add to that reference container.    Can anyone help with that?   

Have tried several things to remove footer newsletter but can not do so.

Is there a way to find out what every block or container is called? 

<referenceContainer name="footer">
            <referenceBlock name="footer.newsletter" remove="true" />
        </referenceContainer>   

For anyone else ...

<remove name="form.subscribe"/>

In magento admin > store > config->advanced->developer

Go to debug and say yes to all three..

Disable cache in magento admin->system->cache management

set layout,blocks and pages to DISABLED

Your page will look messyCat Happy , but you will find all your block names and paths