cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create custom/new theme along with templates in magento2

How to create custom/new theme along with templates in magento2

Hello All, 

I followed everything as described in Document but still I am not able to get my custom theme up and running.

What I have done so far. 

1. Created theme folder and added all needed file such as theme.xml, registration.php, parent theme is blank.

2. It is showing in admin, I have selected  the theme.

3. in front end  it it showing basic luma theme, which I havent selected anywhere. 

4. Logo image is selected from admin side and selected from my theme folder so it is showing.

5. I need to have all templates coming from my theme folder so when there is any update it won't affect.

Question I have in mind

1. how can I put all those .phtml files which are creating header,footer or anything.

I already created a folder named Magento_Theme in my theme folder as Magento_Theme/templates/html/header.phtml

but this is not showing any changes, I added a text in header.phtml to confirm  but it never shows. 

2. I have seen the path from template hint and it says below

vendor/magento/module-theme/view/frontend/templates/html/header.phtml

I copied paste the same on my theme which is like this

app/frontend/flo/fa/module-theme/view/frontend/templates/html/header.phtml [No luck]

I also tried
app/frontend/flo/fa/view/frontend/templates/html/header.phtml [No luck]

but still the path is coming from

vendor/magento/module-theme/view/frontend/templates/html/header.phtml [Why?, it should show from the theme folder right]

3. I need to change entire design from luma/blank to anything I want but where are my files? I dont want to in-herit, and if I do I need those header/footer files to come from my theme folder only. 

4. I have seen so many tutorials all claim to create custom theme so easily but no one is showing output[lol], so is there any link/tutorial which is showing step by step and the real output in the last?

5. Folder structure of any custom/newly created theme? 

I hope above all make sens. 

P.S: I downloaded the files from github, and it does not have default theme, I must be doing something wrong or this is normal. 

Advice/help appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How to create custom/new theme along with templates in magento2

I'm bumping this, because I have the same EXACT problem. I've done everything you have done, with aboslutely no luck. I can't proceed with anything until I can get this resolved, and don't want to make a new post on the issue.

Re: How to create custom/new theme along with templates in magento2

Hey,

I had managed to get it worked, let me know where you are stucked will try
my best to get you go.