cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable a Sourcemap for LESS?

How to enable a Sourcemap for LESS?

Hi, while playing around with Magento 2 to get familiar with its structure I noticed that I have no idea how to enable a sourcemap for LESS. For development I have set the compiler to client-side compilation.

With the previous version of Magento I always used Compass and enable the sourcemap in the config file.

Can somebody explain how it works in LESS specific for Magento 2?

Thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: How to enable a Sourcemap for LESS?

As I understand, there is no such possibility yet: https://mage2.pro/t/335

I found out that sourcemaps will be generated if you use grunt watch or grunt less:<theme>.

Check it out here how to configure it: http://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.0/frontend-dev-guide/css-topics/css_debug.html

Hi tobiaswiking,

Thanks for this. I think that Grunt could be the way to go. Guess that i'm to attached to CodeKit and Sass ;-)

I'm going to play around with it and I will leave my thoughts about it in this thread.

Thanks again for pointing me into the right direction.

Cheers.

Happy to help!

When you are using Grunt, you don't need CodeKit.

i have installed grunt and tried to use it but... this is my output:

az@33:/var/www/mywebsite/web# grunt less:blank
Running "less:blank" (less) task
>> Destination pub/static/frontend/Magento/blank/en_US/css/styles-m.css not written because no source files were found.
>> Destination pub/static/frontend/Magento/blank/en_US/css/styles-l.css not written because no source files were found.
>> Destination pub/static/frontend/Magento/blank/en_US/css/email.css not written because no source files were found.
>> Destination pub/static/frontend/Magento/blank/en_US/css/email-inline.css not written because no source files were found.

Done, without errors.

Execution Time (2016-01-20 18:12:26 UTC)
loading tasks               174ms  ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ 70%
loading grunt-contrib-less   60ms  ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ 24%
less:blank                   12ms  ▇▇▇▇▇▇ 5%
Total 247ms

I have those: not written because no source files were found on every template. Any help?

Did you found the solution for this issue yet? I also get:

Destination pub/static/frontend/Magento/blank/en_US/css/styles-m.css not written because no source files were found.

Destination pub/static/frontend/Magento/blank/en_US/css/styles-l.css not written because no source files were found....

And when I refresh the page it doesn't load these css files.

Please, help.

You need to run grunt exec:[themename] first.

For example grunt exec:blank, then grunt less:blank.