cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace footer

Replace footer

I'm trying to figure out how to completely replace the footer. Hiding links and adding links isn't going to cut it. I've found some of the templates for the likes of the copyright message, bug reporting, etc. What I can't seem to find is how all this comes together to create the final markup. Is there a single file that implements each of the templates in turn? Ideally by editing that I can prevent Magento from running off and building a whole lot of stuff that it just doesn't need to build and just implement one custom template. The design of my footer is below. How do I do this?

magento footer.jpg

1 REPLY 1

Re: Replace footer

Hi,

You could remove the footer completely and then insert your own custom template.

1) in your theme's directly, create this file if it doesn't exist:

Magento_Theme/layout/default.xml

2) add the following code to default.xml:

<page xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="urn:magento:framework:View/Layout/etc/page_configuration.xsd">
<body>

<referenceContainer name="footer" remove="true">

</referenceContainer>

<referenceContainer name="footer-container">
<container name="myfooter" as="myfooter" label="Page Footer" htmlTag="div" htmlClass="footer content">
<block class="Magento\Framework\View\Element\Template" name="myfooter.block" template="Magento_Theme::html/myfooter.phtml" />
</container>
</referenceContainer>

</body>
</page>

Where "myfooter.phtml" is your custom template file located under Magento_Theme/templates/html within your theme's directory. If you're working with an existing default.xml file, you would just insert the code that is inside the body tag into the existing body tag, and not the whole thing.

3. Flush the cache.

Hope this helps!