cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best methods to retrieve orders (and info), and post back once updated.

SOLVED

Best methods to retrieve orders (and info), and post back once updated.

My question is two fold - one is on methods, and two on finding a Magento developer.

background:

We're currently using a non Magento e-com solution (yes I know, what was I thinking 5 years ago!). For the last 2 months I've been playing around with Magento on in a test environment - both 1.9.2.3 and 2.0.2.

going a little deeper:

We sell and make custom made products, and premade products; here's an example of how the process works currently.

A customer places an order for 1 t-shirt which is custom made (custom color, text, size), and 1 t-shirt with predefined options. Our (manufacturing) back-end app queries our current e-com solution for new orders, pulls out the data (customer info, order info, order item-info (attributes/options) and imports it into its DB queue. A worker prints the t-shirts, packages the order up and generates a UPS or USPS tracking number. Our back-end app posts this data back to our e-com solution; all this is done via simple functions/classes and mysql queries.

So far I've tried to duplicate this with plain php + SOAP v2 calls on Magento 1.9.2.2/3 with varying degrees of success so with some time and testing I can completely duplicate our current transfer of data back and forth without direct DB access. Now why am I talking about 1.9.x in here? Because I "stumbled upon" Magento 2 and I'm in love - with the overall codebase, and UI/functions in the front end!

So now my question:  based on the above, what would be the best route to accomplish this? It seems that the Magento 2x's API structure etc is completely different from 1.x and I'm simply too new to Magento in general. I haven't been able to find anything in the documentation to run even simple tests.

The second part to my question: what and where is the best way/place to look for a Magento developer to get this done for us?

To recap on what I'm trying to accomplish:

1. Grab order information (customer info, order item info) so it can be passed on to our manufacturing backend. Any format will work (raw, xml,csv etc)

2. Pass updated information back to Magento 2.x to update order state and status, and add tracking information + notify customer of change.

3. I'm trying to accomplish this without being intrusive to the Magento code base or to create a dependency on the Magento code base and it's updates.

I'm not asking for free code, but either a good resource to get started and preferably referrals to a developer who's intimately familiar with Magento 2 and interfacing with M2. Thank you for reading this far!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Best methods to retrieve orders (and info), and post back once updated.

5 REPLIES 5

Thanks - seen that already and as I mentioned in my original post, it's not helping much as there are no samples like in the magento 1.x samples. I've literally dissected ALL documentation available in the Mv2 section on API's.

Great - figured it out finally - the power of imagination and some hours of sleep! I'll eventually link in a tutorial or two on outside connectivity as the current manuals are not much help to anyone new to Magento2.

Can you share any info on this?  I can successfully GET customers but using the same oauth credentials any attempt to get orders gives a "you are not authorised" error.

Not sure what information you're asking for - it's all in the link in the solution.

Look at your authentication methods, verify the back-end user information you are trying to access the API with.