cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different SKU code for the same product

Different SKU code for the same product

Hi,

I am looking around magento and thinking to start using it for my website. But I'd like to check if an option I have on my current website, can be applied to magento too.

I have products, which are the same, but from different suppliers and for that reason they have different SKUs.

now currently I have a field in the database, which I set all alternate SKUs so when a visitor search with the code on the website and the search have no results (because the item with that particular SKU is not available) it will search for the alternate SKU and display the other alternate products if available.

Is something like this possible in magento?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Different SKU code for the same product

Yes , You can choose magento for you website 

In magento you can create multiple website But You can not change main product SKU website wish

There is alternate Option to create new product Attribute Name like "alternate_sku" the Scope : Website 

So Sku diffrent in diffrent website if you have multiple store in 1 website select Scope : Store View

Add this attribute to 
1. Use in Quick Search : Yes
2. Use in Advanced Search : Yes
3. Used in Product Listing : Yes
4. Visible on Product View Page on Front-end : Yes

Then when a visitor search with the code on the website then searches result get on particular websites

This scenario easily manage by magento.
Elsner Technologies

Will making a new attribute (searchable) called sku2 help? Magento will not allow a product to have 2 attributes with the same name. So depending on which attribute you want searchable, you can give your visitors the experience you have in mind.

thank you both for your help. I will try it and see what it works Smiley Wink

Hi, @robertbits i am facing the same issue as yours. what solution did you use for different SKU code for the same product.

Thanks

@michael_oluwaseyi

I ended up using an extension "Barcode Management" https://www.magestore.com/barcode-management, which gave me the option to give multiple barcodes to the same sku.