cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Started with module development

SOLVED

Getting Started with module development

I'm a PHP/JS developer, and was asked to help someone build a Magento site. Around 13k SKU's, and doubling in the next few years.

I have the site up and running with a custom theme, and some paid modules, but I want to step up my game and start developing my own modules.

I've tried to find and follow the docs, but there always seems to be an assumption that you already know half of the classes in the framework.

Is there a place with better docs than the official docs? In general, is there a good place to learn custom module development?

I can create a simple module now already, create a db table, and initialize data, but when it comes to something as simple as adding a field to an existing form (like signup), there doesn't seem to be a place to get straightforward answers.

Any resources to help me teach myself would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Getting Started with module development

Hi @media_bloke 

"if your module is dependent on another module, you're supposed to reference that other module in the list of <sequence> arguments."

This depends on your requirement or the working of your module let's take and example if you are working related to customer  and you are trying to get customer related data in your module and you didn't mention core customer module in your module.xml. so in some cases your module loads before core customer module and you are not able to get your data in your business logic because core customer module which you didn't use in your custom module load later.

but this scenario happens very rear . So on the conclusion you need to identify which module should be listed in your custom module which depends on your module requirement.   

Hope this helps.

if above answer was helpful then please Accept as Solution & give Kudos
Shubham Khandelwal    

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Thanks. As I mentioned, I know how to build the boilerplate of a module. It's the next steps that I don't know where to look.

For example, in the module.xml file, if your module is dependent on another module, you're supposed to reference that other module in the list of <sequence> arguments.

How do you know which other modules to use? Where does that info come from?

Hi @media_bloke 

"if your module is dependent on another module, you're supposed to reference that other module in the list of <sequence> arguments."

This depends on your requirement or the working of your module let's take and example if you are working related to customer  and you are trying to get customer related data in your module and you didn't mention core customer module in your module.xml. so in some cases your module loads before core customer module and you are not able to get your data in your business logic because core customer module which you didn't use in your custom module load later.

but this scenario happens very rear . So on the conclusion you need to identify which module should be listed in your custom module which depends on your module requirement.   

Hope this helps.

if above answer was helpful then please Accept as Solution & give Kudos
Shubham Khandelwal    

I have just use module development to build a place to play Mario games: Super Mario Bros

Or you can play: Goodgame Empire a MMO game online

Thank you very much for for your great information. It really makes me happy and I am satisfied with the arrangement of your post. You are really a talented person I have ever seen. I will keep following you forever. If you have time you can check this site and give me suggestion. HR services in Karachi