cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost trying to customize objects

SOLVED

Lost trying to customize objects

I am new to Magento 2 and I am sorry if this isn't the place for this but, I am finding it incredibly difficult to customize objects. I have searched around and still, am unable to get a good understanding of the way Magento works for development changes. I am working on a preinstalled Magento 2 build which 2 developers have been working at for a couple of months now I don't know what changes they have made to it so far. They don't seem to be too sure about finding or locating an object to make edits. The other day I needed to change the text to a button and I spent hours digging through files until I finally found the javascript file with the function to write the text. I need to change the class of a submit button because it is inheriting CSS that it shouldn't be and am unable to find it in the file structure. I feel like it shouldn't be this difficult to work with this system there has to be something that I am not seeing here. Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Lost trying to customize objects

Hello @andrew_bossart 

Magento is all about practise and keep updating yourself daily with new versions and things are coming in Magento 2.

Thanks to our amazing community which helps Magento 2 to reach at completely new platform by adding tons of features, security updates and performance improvements.

Magento 2 now at least launching around 4 major updates in a year.

To answer your question, you can take some help of developer to get some tasks done first and ask him for the files where he made the changes to learn more.

Reason is, not every custom theme has same file to modify but yes backend files must be similar.

For CSS you can anytime right click on browser and click on inspect element to find CSS file in bottom right section.

Try enabling template path from Magento backend to check the file paths for individual elements.

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi @andrew_bossart 

As you are new to magento so few things i want to tell you for your issue.

1.If you want to make any customisation in the theme or in the frontend then don't change the code directly, you need to override the code in your custom modules.

I would like to recommend,don't do any change in code if you don't know it.

Take help of developers or any any agency.

2.You can also change the data or values from admin but there you find only the data related to products or you can change the settings from admin.

If you have any query then do let me know.

Thanks

---
If you've found my answer useful, please give"Kudos" and "Accept as Solution".

The issue is that can't figure out how to change them in the modules. I read a stack overflow post that recommended changing the value in vendor/magento/module-checkout/i18n/en_US.csv (for example) to the corresponding value I want to change. Unfortunately this doesn't work for me nothing changes after editing this file.

Also this doesn't help me change the class of a submit button that is not displaying correctly because of CSS overrides.

Hi @andrew_bossart 

What do you want to acheive?

Thanks

---

I want to be able to change the text of buttons. I want to be able to change the class of a button so it doesn't get changed in css. I can't find a way to do simple things such as this.

Hi @andrew_bossart 

Which text you want to change can you please tell me so that i can help you.

Thanks

---

The submit button for checkout. My question is more about how do I go change these things in general. I tried the translation file en_US.csv and nothing happened. I get asked to change the wording on certain buttons and I need to be able to change them quickly.

Hi @andrew_bossart 

Just open the template hints and check the file from which that text is shown.

Then you have to override that file in custom module and you can change the value in modified file.

Thanks

---

Hello @andrew_bossart 

Magento is all about practise and keep updating yourself daily with new versions and things are coming in Magento 2.

Thanks to our amazing community which helps Magento 2 to reach at completely new platform by adding tons of features, security updates and performance improvements.

Magento 2 now at least launching around 4 major updates in a year.

To answer your question, you can take some help of developer to get some tasks done first and ask him for the files where he made the changes to learn more.

Reason is, not every custom theme has same file to modify but yes backend files must be similar.

For CSS you can anytime right click on browser and click on inspect element to find CSS file in bottom right section.

Try enabling template path from Magento backend to check the file paths for individual elements.

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now