cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 2 : Deprecated Functionality: Function ReflectionType::__toString() is deprecated.

SOLVED

Magento 2 : Deprecated Functionality: Function ReflectionType::__toString() is deprecated.

Hello all,

When I try to execute bin/magento setup:install from the command line

I get an exception as "Deprecated Functionality: Function ReflectionType::__toString() is deprecated".

It gives the same error for my previous Magento instance when I do bin/magento setup:upgrade.

It was running all good a few days earlier.

Does anyone have solution for this?

Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Magento 2 : Deprecated Functionality: Function ReflectionType::__toString() is deprecated.

Magento 2.3 is not compatible with Php 7.4, So there are two possible solutions:

1. Downgrade you Php version to 7.3 - Recommended
2. If it is not possible for you to downgrade php version, you need to perform few changes in core files. This is a work around until Magento get compatible version for Php 7.4. When installing on my end I had faced few issues, this is what I did to solve them.

Change1:

File: vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/ParameterReflection.php
In function `detectType()` replace line

return (string) $type;

with

return $type->getName();

Change2:

Error: Deprecated Functionality: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated
File: vendor/magento/framework/DB/Sql/UnionExpression.php
In function `__toString()` replace line

$sql = implode($parts, $this->type);

with

$sql = implode($this->type,$parts);

Change3:

File: vendor/magento/framework/App/AreaList.php
In function `getCodeByFrontName()` replace line

if ($areaInfo['frontName'] == $frontName)

with

if (isset($areaInfo) && $areaInfo['frontName'] == $frontName)

Hope it helps you,

Thanks

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Magento 2 : Deprecated Functionality: Function ReflectionType::__toString() is deprecated.

Can you tell which Php version your system is running ?

Thanks

Hello @Abdul Pathan ,

I am using PHP 7.4, And I have installed Magento 2.3

Magento 2.3 is not compatible with Php 7.4, So there are two possible solutions:

1. Downgrade you Php version to 7.3 - Recommended
2. If it is not possible for you to downgrade php version, you need to perform few changes in core files. This is a work around until Magento get compatible version for Php 7.4. When installing on my end I had faced few issues, this is what I did to solve them.

Change1:

File: vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/ParameterReflection.php
In function `detectType()` replace line

return (string) $type;

with

return $type->getName();

Change2:

Error: Deprecated Functionality: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated
File: vendor/magento/framework/DB/Sql/UnionExpression.php
In function `__toString()` replace line

$sql = implode($parts, $this->type);

with

$sql = implode($this->type,$parts);

Change3:

File: vendor/magento/framework/App/AreaList.php
In function `getCodeByFrontName()` replace line

if ($areaInfo['frontName'] == $frontName)

with

if (isset($areaInfo) && $areaInfo['frontName'] == $frontName)

Hope it helps you,

Thanks

Hello @Abdul Pathan ,

Thanks For your quick reply.
I tried the second solution, yes it's working.
Is this a Magento bug?

Once again Thanks a lot Smiley Happy

Its not an Magento bug, its just that Php7.4 has deprecated few functionality which were working in Php7.3. Such changes usually are carried inorder to improve the efficiency/security in Php. Any application using these deprecated functionality are supposed to update its code in-order to support new version of Php . Hope it makes it clear.

Hi Abdul

Apologies for hijacking this thread but I have the same issue when my hosting company automatically upgraded to php 7.4

I reverted it back to 7.3 but I'm still having the same issue.

Does Magento 2.3.3 change any code when it atempts to use php 7.4?

I don't understand why I'm still getting these issues.

I can't run php bin/magento setup:upgrade or php -dmemory_limit=4G bin/magento setup:di:compile

Hope someone can help

Thank you

Andy

Update:
My hosting company has set php 7.4 as the default so to access v 7.3 when running scripts I had to specify the php version - /usr/local/php73/bin/php-cli

Hope this helps others.

Magento 2.4 is not compatible with Php 8.1, any sol?.......

PHP Fatal error:  During inheritance of Iterator: Uncaught Exception: Deprecated Functionality: Return type of