cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 2 full conversion to IBM DB2

Magento 2 full conversion to IBM DB2

Hello, I am new to the forums and I have been developing on magento (vanilla, with MySql) for several months now.

Recently I have been tasked with finding a way to fully integrate IBM DB2 with Magento 2.4.5, (getting rid of MySql altogether) these changes impact upon the whole Magento2 Framework and subsequently on the base modules that magento comes with (which will need to be thoroughly tested to ensure their functionality).

I am struggling to find a complete time estimate (since it's quite a lot of code to go through and data processing analysis).

I have spent as of now converting the system and running tests for about a total of 47 days.

How can I estimate the analysis, coding, debugging, testing of: The connection interfaces (which is somewhat done since we are already connecting with DB2 and executing most queries), the framework and the integrated OOTB modules?

How long could this project take?

Disclaimer: As of now I have been attacking the problem head on, code monkey style but I need to find a way to analyze the "work to be done" to provide a time frame. Is this possible?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Magento 2 full conversion to IBM DB2

It's good to hear that you've made some progress in integrating IBM DB2 with Magento 2.4.5. As for estimating the time required to complete the project, there are several factors that you should consider.

1. Scope: The first step is to define the scope of the project, which includes all the tasks that need to be completed to fully integrate IBM DB2 with Magento 2.4.5. This includes analyzing the existing code, modifying the connection interfaces, adapting the framework, and testing the integrated modules. Make sure you have a clear understanding of what needs to be done and what the end goal is.  www.mygeorgiasouthern.edu

2. Expertise: You should also consider the level of expertise of the team members involved in the project. If you have experience in integrating databases with Magento and are familiar with IBM DB2, the project may take less time. However, if the team lacks the necessary expertise, it may take longer to complete the project.

3. Testing: Testing is an essential part of the project, as you mentioned. You need to ensure that the integrated system is functional and stable. This may require significant time, as you need to test different scenarios and edge cases to ensure that the system works as expected.

4. Project management: Effective project management is essential to ensure that the project is completed on time and within budget. This includes setting milestones, monitoring progress, and addressing any issues that arise during the project.

Given the above factors, it is difficult to provide an accurate estimate of the time required to complete the project without knowing more details about the scope and resources available. However, you could break down the project into smaller, manageable tasks and estimate the time required for each task. This will allow you to track progress and adjust the timeline as necessary. It is also advisable to build in some buffer time for unexpected issues that may arise during the project.

In summary, estimating the time required to fully integrate IBM DB2 with Magento 2.4.5 requires careful consideration of the project scope, expertise, testing requirements, and project management. By breaking down the project into smaller tasks and estimating the time required for each, you can create a realistic timeline for the project.

Thank you kindly for your answer.

As of now the human resource for converting the platform and performing initial tests (extensively to 100% function before QA tests) is a team of one, absorbing all the functions (Myself).

The objective is a full conversion of the entirety of Magento 2 to use IBM DB2 LUW.

I have extensive experience in PHP, I have experience with ZEND, but I've far less experience with Magento (modding of modules and a basic understanding on the top layers of Magento which are basically deploying a new module and such) not so with the base code.

As of now I have advanced. The amount of work done is going to be the sample for the "amount of work to be done" and them some.

The problem is that I have no definitive amount of the work left to be done because I am only doing a debbuging and testing process, not to mention patching and converting functions and "it seems endless" since I have not calculated the scope precisely.

What I need an idea of the scope (figured in files, classes, methods or lines) of the classes that directly impact the database and the ramifications of these classes.

I am currently making out some tasks based on the raw number of files in the "framework" folder (as a second project task that will take an X amount of time).

What I need (and the thing that would be ideal) is help of a person with experience in Magento's back end which basically condensates in: "You'll have to change X amount of files, X amount of classes because that's what MySql direct affects, plus the entirety of the system which you will have to test thoroughly."

I am currenty making a full change to the framework. I am uploading my changes to:

https://github.com/CarlosSRHeapst/Magento2_POC_IBM

This is meant to be a in-progress project (with comments and probably out of standard)

A branch has been published in the main MAGENTO github, although it is not the most complete code one of my peers will update it once we have the conversion done:

https://github.com/aolverao/magento2/branches

Estimating the time frame for a full conversion of Magento 2 to IBM DB2 can be challenging. Here are some steps to help you approach the estimation process:

1. Break down the project into smaller tasks.
  2. Analyze the codebase and identify the areas that need modification.
  3. Evaluate dependencies and consider potential risks.
  4. Prioritize tasks and estimate effort for each.
  5. Allocate time for thorough testing and debugging.
  6. Include a buffer for unforeseen issues.
  7. Seek expert advice if needed.

Remember, the time frame will depend on factors like the project's size, complexity, and available resources. Regularly update your estimates as you progress.