cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Programming methodologies do i have to know to understand magento?

SOLVED

What Programming methodologies do i have to know to understand magento?

Hi,

I'm a beginner Magento developer and I do have coding knowledge, I have worked with procedural and functional PHP and a little OO PHP too. I have classes concepts and MVC concept too, I also know a little bit laravel too, but I still get lost while working with Magento Code. With some research on my own, I have become familiar with some new concepts like psr, autoloading, namespaces. but still I can't understand Magento, What are the things that I should become familiar with or learn to completely understand Magento.

Regards,

Tajveez

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: What Programming methodologies do i have to know to understand magento?

Hi @tajveez_rehman 

Magento organizes its code into individual Modules. Magento is a configuration-based MVC system. In a typical PHP Model-View-Controller (MVC) application, all the Controllers will be in one folder, all the Models in another, etc. In Magento, files are grouped together based on functionality, which are called modules in Magento.

So here we have Magento’s coding standards, which will help you to contribute to Magento’s codebase or can create extensions in Magento. Also this blog will help you in understand Magento Coding Standards.

Moreover this you need to understand:

1) MVC
2) Magento Theme
3) Modules
4) PHP and HTML knowledge
5) Magento file structure

To customize the store to your needs you will need HTML/CSS skills, JavaScript, XML knowledge.

I hope it will help you.

Thanks

--

if issue solved and help ,Click Kudos & Accept as Solution

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hello @tajveez_rehman ,

Welcome to the community forums.

This community forums is a very good platform to ask the questions and try to help others.

You can also start diving into the http://devdocs.magento.com/

You can get an idea about the already reported/existing issue from Github: https://github.com/magento/magento2/issues

Also, you should read this post: https://community.magento.com/t5/Welcome-to-the-Magento-Community/Start-here-and-hello-from-me/m-p/5... (in particular the guidelines)

If you're new to our forums, welcome! Take a look around, introduce yourselfcheck out our guidelines, and be sure to reach out to me or any of our awesome moderators if you have any questions.

You can ask also question to Magento Community Manager @sherrie if you have still issue.

As you are also a magento developer so you can always share your thoughts on this platform and yes definitely you can get help from existing community members as well

Looking forward to your contribution on this forum

--
If my answer is useful, please Accept as Solution & give Kudos

Hi @tajveez_rehman 

Magento organizes its code into individual Modules. Magento is a configuration-based MVC system. In a typical PHP Model-View-Controller (MVC) application, all the Controllers will be in one folder, all the Models in another, etc. In Magento, files are grouped together based on functionality, which are called modules in Magento.

So here we have Magento’s coding standards, which will help you to contribute to Magento’s codebase or can create extensions in Magento. Also this blog will help you in understand Magento Coding Standards.

Moreover this you need to understand:

1) MVC
2) Magento Theme
3) Modules
4) PHP and HTML knowledge
5) Magento file structure

To customize the store to your needs you will need HTML/CSS skills, JavaScript, XML knowledge.

I hope it will help you.

Thanks

--

if issue solved and help ,Click Kudos & Accept as Solution

Thanks, @PankajS_Magento  for the detailed response. I have a question that Magento uses XML files for Layout and stuff. Where did Magento inherit that from? MVC or is it some kind of coding structure.

Hi @tajveez_rehman 

Magento use XML for view part and it is inherited with MVC.

XML gives frontend developers the ability to add and remove view elements and their data to different routes without having to rewrite action controller classes.

Using an xml makes it easy for developers to add stuff(Blocks) in a page. All the layout xmls are merged into one big xml and that one is used by the controllers. The controller does not care where a block comes from. If it's in the merged xml it instantiates it and displays it.

For more this Frontend developer guide will help you.

Thanks