cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Header layout default.xml not applied after upgrade to 2.3.3

SOLVED

Header layout default.xml not applied after upgrade to 2.3.3

My site, originally built on m2.1, uses a custom theme to apply different header CSS classes for the Product pages and Checkout pages. Here is how I achieved that:

Product pages:

layout files

app/design/frontend/FuryBros/default/Magento_Theme/layout/default.xml

app/design/frontend/FuryBros/default/Magento_Theme/layout/default_head_blocks.xml

default.xml

<page xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="urn:magento:framework:View/Layout/etc/page_configuration.xsd">
    <body>
    	<referenceContainer name="after.body.start">
    		<block class="Magento\Framework\View\Element\Template" before="-" name="mobile.nav" template="Magento_Theme::mobile-nav.phtml"/>
    		<block class="Magento\Framework\View\Element\Template" before="-" name="topbar" template="Magento_Theme::topbar.phtml"/>
		</referenceContainer>
    	<referenceContainer name="header.container" htmlClass="page-header main-header header-split menu-calculated"/>
		<referenceBlock name="breadcrumbs" remove="true" />
 		<referenceBlock name="header.panel.wrapper" remove="true"/>
 		<referenceBlock name="top.search" remove="true"/>
    </body>
</page>

Checkout pages:

layout files

app/design/frontend/FuryBros/default/Magento_Checkout/layout/default.xml

app/design/frontend/FuryBros/default/Magento_Checkout/layout/checkout_index_index.xml

app/design/frontend/FuryBros/default/Magento_Checkout/layout/default_head_blocks.xml

default.xml

<page xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="urn:magento:framework:View/Layout/etc/page_configuration.xsd">
    <body>
    	<referenceContainer name="after.body.start">
    		<block class="Magento\Framework\View\Element\Template" before="-" name="mobile.nav" template="Magento_Theme::mobile-nav.phtml"/>
    		<block class="Magento\Framework\View\Element\Template" before="-" name="topbar" template="Magento_Theme::topbar.phtml"/>
		</referenceContainer>
    	<referenceContainer name="header.container" htmlClass="page-header"/>
		<referenceBlock name="breadcrumbs" remove="true" />
 		<referenceBlock name="header.panel.wrapper" remove="true"/>
 		<referenceBlock name="top.search" remove="true"/>
    </body>
</page>

This worked fine for 2.1

I am trying to upgrade to 2.3.3 and now, header is broken on product pages. Its missing the extra classes main-header header-split and menu-calculated. If I add these classes in the checkout layout, they also show up on product pages. It is as if the Checkout layout is applying everywhere now instead of the Theme layout.

I don't know how to fix or troubleshoot. Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Header layout default.xml not applied after upgrade to 2.3.3

Apparently not a lot of 2.3 users on this forum?

The fix was to move the referenceContainer line into checkout_index_index.xml instead of default.xml

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

@pablit07 after upgrading have you switched to your custom theme?

Aye, it is active. I also confirmed it is set as type = 0 in database.

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 7.50.34 AM.png

@pablit07 please share the link of image as it is visible only once approved by moderator.

Thanks

@Rahul Gupta  the image just shows you, yes the theme is active.

Do you know, is this the right path and file to override the <header> block and give it a CSS class in Magento 2.2.3? This is what no longer works after the upgrade:

app/design/frontend/FuryBros/default/Magento_Theme/layout/default.xml

but, it works here

app/design/frontend/FuryBros/default/Magento_Checkout/layout/default.xml

Do you know why?

You can see the details of what I want to accomplish in my original post. Thanks!

@pablit07 if you are using default.xml inside Magento_Theme then it would be added for whole website but if you wanted it in checkout only then use it inside Magento_Checkout.

Thanks

I've added default.xml inside Magento_Theme. It is not working after clearing cache etc.

I also added default.xml inside Magento_Checkout. This one is applying for the entire site after upgrade - I dont understand why or how to fix.

@pablit07 clear your pub/static folder and then try again.

@Rahul Gupta  Thank you for the suggestion but clearing pub/static and redeploying static content did not fix this.

Apparently not a lot of 2.3 users on this forum?

The fix was to move the referenceContainer line into checkout_index_index.xml instead of default.xml