cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 2 backend so slow compared to 1

Magento 2 backend so slow compared to 1

I've recently migrated from 1.9.3 to 2.3.4. In my experience upgraded versions of anything are rarely as good as the original, so I expected some pain. However M2 is proving so slow and cumbersome compared M1. Is there anything that can be done to speed up the backend?

Front end is faster and better, but the bit I use most is the backend. Takes about 15 seconds to open orders, most clicks take 7 seconds to open the next menu

Some other issues 

- cannot reindex from back end .

- when searching for an order number you cannot just put the  last 5 digits of the order number, you must put the whole number

- keep getting "Attention something went wrong" messages

.Any help appreciated thanks

Julian

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Magento 2 backend so slow compared to 1

Hello @overlap818 

By default, Magento 2 isn’t slow, however, if not set up well, the store will lag and load bit by bit. This applies not only to your storefront but you may also face Magento with slow backend.

Although Magento 1 is comparatively faster than Magento 2, but there are couple of methods you can optimise it, follow this documentation :

https://magenticians.com/magento-optimization/

Please follow the below steps to reindex from admin:

1. Log in to the Magento Admin.
  2. Click System > Tools > Index Management.
  3. Select the checkbox next to each type of indexer to change.
  4. From the Actions list, click the indexing mode.
  5. Click Submit.

And try to read the warnings shown, as most common warnings are related with caching.

Problem Solved ? Click on 'Kudos' & Accept as Solution ! Smiley Happy

thanks I'll take a look at that link.

The index cannot actually be made to run though - you have to set up a cron job.

Reindexing is something that needs to be done regularly when you are adding products.

@gaurav_harsh1 wrote:

Hello @overlap818 

By default, Magento 2 isn’t slow, however, if not set up well, the store will lag and load bit by bit. This applies not only to your storefront but you may also face Magento with slow backend.

Although Magento 1 is comparatively faster than Magento 2, but there are couple of methods you can optimise it, follow this documentation :

https://magenticians.com/magento-optimization/

Please follow the below steps to reindex from admin:

1. Log in to the Magento Admin.
  2. Click System > Tools > Index Management.
  3. Select the checkbox next to each type of indexer to change.
  4. From the Actions list, click the indexing mode.
  5. Click Submit.

And try to read the warnings shown, as most common warnings are related with caching.

I understood 2 to be less resource hungry and therefore should be faster. Front end is for me but the backend is worse.

Does anyone make an extension to make M2 backend "classic" like M1?

@overlap818 

there are several commands for M2 which includes Indexing command as well which we usually do (not with backend)

* php bin/magento indexer:reindex

thanks for reply. SSH reindex was available on 1, I just can't fathom why they would remove a fundemental - it's a bit like when Microsoft removed the start button on windows. I cannot add a product and reindex on a mobile phone now..

@overlap818 

the above command I add is SSH command only :

php bin/magento indexer:reindex

you asked in question to reindex from backend (admin panel ) so I gave you example from admin.

Thank you

OK i've had a developer optimise the webstore and the front end is much improved, but back end operations are painfully slow. He did add an extension to reindex from the CMS, so at least one bit of 1 that was lost is back.  In addition you don't seem to be able to open another tab to carry on with another operation simultaneously.

It's so slow and cumbersome compared to 1, I can't find anything it does better.

Does anyone know of an extension to offer a faster more effective back end? It needs to improve speed by 10x to be workable as a business.

Move it to a much faster server. Problem solved. 

It's on a fast server.

GT Metrix score 95% pagespeed, YSlow 82%, page load 4.4 sec.

Search on front end is super fast - 10x faster than M1 - it's the backend that is the issue.

15-20 seconds to load the orders page

Can anyone help with this? I can't be the only person experiencing this?

I've just gone into the back end and a new record - 48 seconds to load 293 records, contrast that with the front end where a search brings 2000+ results in less than 3 seconds.

CPU and RAM are at about 1/3 of capacity.