cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesnt Magento give cancellation option to customer by default?

Why doesnt Magento give cancellation option to customer by default?

Hello Community,

I am migrating to Magento 2.2.4 (On-prem enterprise).

I just came across a baffling info about Magento and I am really shocked.

I came to know that like any normal e-commerce site, customers on Magento sites do not get an option to cancel items/orders on the frontend and this can be only done through the backend.

As per me (or e-commerce industry standard), this should be the most basic functionality and I am wondering why hasn't Magento built it? 

A quick answer and resolution would be really helpful here. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Why doesnt Magento give cancellation option to customer by default?

Hello @Shankx

If you are using enterprise then there is one option for RMA 

you need to enable that option from the backend , you can find related configuration into Store >> Configuration >> sales.

Hope it will help you.

Problem solved? Click Kudos & Accept as Solution!
Sunil Patel
Magento 2 Certified Professional Developer & Frontend Developer

Hello Sunil,

I am not talking about Returns or exchanges. I am talking about a simple use case.

Let’s say you order something on Amazon, Flipkart or any other website. But before the order was dispatched, you change your mind and you want to cancel the order.

You will simple go to “My orders” section and just cancel the order (or any particular item within it).

How do I get this functionality in my new Magento store?

Hello @Shankx

by default, Magento does not provide such options

There is some module into market

https://marketplace.magento.com/ranosys040-cancelorder.html

https://bsscommerce.com/magento-2-frontend-cancel-order.html

hope it will help you if help you then mark as solution.

Problem solved? Click Kudos & Accept as Solution!
Sunil Patel
Magento 2 Certified Professional Developer & Frontend Developer

Hello Shankx,

I agree with your concern that should be there but eCommerce is a very big platform and it can have many features but a CMS cannot include all features so you can install below free plugin to add this feature in your store.

https://marketplace.magento.com/ranosys040-cancelorder.html

Hope this will be helpful to you. Please kudos if it helps you. Thanks and Cheers coding

Manish Mittal
https://www.manishmittal.com/

Hi @Shankx

As per my experience with Magento 1 & 2 - both the versions are not supporting order cancellation from customer's end. However an order can be cancelled via backend administrator if order is not getting shipped yet.

As a general scenario, customer should able to cancel entire order or individual line item from an order from their account. Yes, this can be certainly achievable but it requires thourough customisation as we need to settle order totals as well.

There are certain extensions available for cancellation but I haven't encountered any extension which provides item level cancellation.

My opinion is - here you need to customize Magento to have order cancellation feature on customer facing on item level.

Hope it helps !

if issue solved,Click Kudos & Accept as Solution

Hello @jzetlen,@ericerway,

Are you aware of the reason why this basic feature was never built? By any chance is it even part of Magento roadmap?

Magento does have RMA but returns and exchanges cost a lot of money to companies. And any company with a decent size of customer base cannot afford to cancel orders manually for each user from the backend. It anyways hampers customer experience even for a small company.