cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding weight to variations of a simple product

Adding weight to variations of a simple product

I am having my site upgraded to 2.3. The products I sell - vet bed - come in scores of colours and sizes and I simply do not have time to put each product on separately in order to create grouped or configurable products. EG basic vetbed comes in 15 colours and 15 sizes so I would have to put on 225 simple products just to list them all. I know I can duplicate products but it still takes ages to do.

It would be much quicker for me to put on, eg, grey vet bed as a simple product and then have a drop down list containing the different sizes. However, the larger products cost more in postage, so I need to be able to add the 15 size variations in the simple product and at the same time make sure the weight of each size was put on the site so the postage would change. This was not possible in version 1.3 but will I be able to do this in the latest version? I do not need to show the column on the left that details the various sizes that are available as I want to keep the site as simple as possible. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Adding weight to variations of a simple product

Hi,

It's good that you've migrated your Magento web application to the latest version. Yes, you can apply weight variation for your product.
Please follow these guides: https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/catalog/search-weighted.html 
https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/system/data-attributes-product.html

I hope, this will help you. If you need further help, feel free to inbox.

Re: Adding weight to variations of a simple product

thank you for your reply.

I need to assign the actual weight of the product to it as the larger the size of the product the higher the weight and the higher the postage cost. I want to avoid having to put the product on scores of times eg one product comes in 15 colours and 10 sizes, and I do not want to put it on 150 times I just want to put it on once and provide options for colours and sizes, with the postage increasing as the size gets bigger.