cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Upgrade: conflicting component dependencies

SOLVED

System Upgrade: conflicting component dependencies

Hi,

I've had this error since 2.0 GA.  Since then, I've wiped the Magento 2 folder and database and re-installed 2.0 and also just recently tried 2.0.1, yet I still can't use the System Upgrade function. 

For the last install, I've used the 2.0.1 zip that includes sample data and the web install.

Ubuntu 14.04, Apache 2.4.7-1ubuntu4.8, PHP 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.14, FPM/FastCGI

Magento Admin > System > Web Setup Wizard > System Upgrade

Step 2: Readiness Check

Completed! You need to resolve these issues to continue.

Check Component Dependency
We found conflicting component dependencies. Hide detail
For additional assistance, see component dependency help .

(I used "code"  to show that text - probably not the best idea)

The system doesn't actually indicate any specifics, making troubleshooting limited.  I've seen this issue described by others on other websites with no answers.

The referenced Help document starts off by saying "To resolve component dependency issues, you should be a technical person who thoroughly understands how Composer works" which is not very encouraging.  It does mention 3 things:

- issues from manually editing composer.json: I've never touched this file
- file system permissions: I've re-applied permissions on every install, error persists
- deleting cron files: No change to the above issue

Would be nice to get this working properly. Smiley Happy

Thanks,

...Donovan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: System Upgrade: conflicting component dependencies

@XComSteveJ wrote:

Look for var/update_status.log.

If there is a file named var/.update_error.flag, delete it.

You said earlier you "deleted cron files". You shouldn't need to do that. Make sure you have crons set up for the Magento file system owner (the user who runs Magento cron jobs).

crontab -u <username> -l

That file does not exist on the file system.

By "deleted cron files," I actually meant deleting var/.update_cronjob_status and var/.setup_cronjob_status (as per troubleshooting instructions).

*/1 * * * * php -c /etc/php5/cli/php.ini /srv/www/magento2/bin/magento cron:run
*/1 * * * * php -c /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini /srv/www/magento2/update/cron.php
*/1 * * * * php -c /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini /srv/www/magento2/bin/magento setup:cron:run

I checked the official cron docs and see that it has been updated to redirect output to files.  I also don't know why I am using the CLI PHP ini for one of the jobs and FPM for the others; either I made a mistake or the instructions I was following were different at the time.  

I removed the old jobs and entered new ones:

*/1 * * * * /usr/bin/php -c /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini /srv/www/magento2/bin/magento cron:run > /srv/www/magento2/var/log/magento.cron.log&
*/1 * * * * /usr/bin/php -c /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini /srv/www/magento2/update/cron.php > /srv/www/magento2/var/log/update.cron.log&
*/1 * * * * /usr/bin/php -c /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini /srv/www/magento2/bin/magento setup:cron:run > /srv/www/magento2/var/log/setup.cron.log&

And there we go, the system is now passing the Readiness Check!  I suspect the entry referencing the CLI .ini file was the issue, but if it's my mistake, it's an odd one to make, because it sticks out like crazy to me, so I have to wonder if I was following someone else's or older documentation.

I guess the next step is to apply the 2.0.2 fix so that the system will properly be able to update, rather than trying to use the update system that was just fixed. Smiley Happy

Thank you, XComSteveJ!  I will reply to the other post in a different area of this forum about this issue, referencing this one, so that it is not left hanging (11 people had indicated they had the same issue on that one).  They might have had different problems but at least this shows that there are people willing to help guide them in the right direction.  Smiley Happy

...Donovan

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Do you know what the conflict is? Do you use CE or EE?

I've listed all of the details that show up in the web browser.  If there is a log somewhere where more detail could be obtained, point me to a URL that tells me how to find that or give me details and I'd be happy to help get you whatever information you need.

All installs were with CE.

...Donovan

You said earlier you "deleted cron files". You shouldn't need to do that. Make sure you have crons set up for the Magento file system owner (the user who runs Magento cron jobs).

crontab -u <username> -l

@XComSteveJ wrote:

crontab -u <username> -l

That file does not exist on the file system.

By "deleted cron files," I actually meant deleting var/.update_cronjob_status and var/.setup_cronjob_status (as per troubleshooting instructions).

*/1 * * * * php -c /etc/php5/cli/php.ini /srv/www/magento2/bin/magento cron:run
*/1 * * * * php -c /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini /srv/www/magento2/update/cron.php
*/1 * * * * php -c /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini /srv/www/magento2/bin/magento setup:cron:run

I checked the official cron docs and see that it has been updated to redirect output to files.  I also don't know why I am using the CLI PHP ini for one of the jobs and FPM for the others; either I made a mistake or the instructions I was following were different at the time.  

I removed the old jobs and entered new ones:

*/1 * * * * /usr/bin/php -c /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini /srv/www/magento2/bin/magento cron:run > /srv/www/magento2/var/log/magento.cron.log&
*/1 * * * * /usr/bin/php -c /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini /srv/www/magento2/update/cron.php > /srv/www/magento2/var/log/update.cron.log&
*/1 * * * * /usr/bin/php -c /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini /srv/www/magento2/bin/magento setup:cron:run > /srv/www/magento2/var/log/setup.cron.log&

And there we go, the system is now passing the Readiness Check!  I suspect the entry referencing the CLI .ini file was the issue, but if it's my mistake, it's an odd one to make, because it sticks out like crazy to me, so I have to wonder if I was following someone else's or older documentation.

I guess the next step is to apply the 2.0.2 fix so that the system will properly be able to update, rather than trying to use the update system that was just fixed. Smiley Happy

Thank you, XComSteveJ!  I will reply to the other post in a different area of this forum about this issue, referencing this one, so that it is not left hanging (11 people had indicated they had the same issue on that one).  They might have had different problems but at least this shows that there are people willing to help guide them in the right direction.  Smiley Happy

...Donovan

I added the log file recently but the -c parameter is not new. I ran into a different issue, I think, where the PHP Settings check failed even though always_populate_raw_post_data = -1 in php.ini.

The reason is that there are two php.ini in my Ubuntu system, one used by the PHP CLI and one used by the web server. Specifying the location of the PHP CLI php.ini solved the issue.

Glad we could help!

Trying to continue from here, the next thing to fail was the backup, but I'll start a new thread for that issue.

Takeaway is to double-check your cron job entries if you get the conflicting component dependencies error.

...Donovan

@XComSteveJ wrote:

I added the log file recently but the -c parameter is not new. I ran into a different issue, I think, where the PHP Settings check failed even though always_populate_raw_post_data = -1 in php.ini.

The reason is that there are two php.ini in my Ubuntu system, one used by the PHP CLI and one used by the web server. Specifying the location of the PHP CLI php.ini solved the issue.

I seem to be having a similar issue. On Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS. CE 2.0.2 installed without issue, but upgrading to 2.0.3 fails at the "Check Component Dependency" section, but gives no detail or hints as to why. I wonder if this is it.

How does one "specify the location of the PHP CLI php.ini" to solve this?

First, locate your PHP executable:

which php

Then update your crontab; if the user name is magento_user, then

crontab -u magento_user -e

You can see examples here.

When I try to upgrede via web interface I recive exactly same error:

Step 2: Readiness Check

Completed! You need to resolve these issues to continue.

Check Component Dependency
We found conflicting component dependencies. Hide detail
For additional assistance, see component dependency help .

When I try upgrade via console i recive error

# bin/magento setup:upgrade
# bin/magento setup:di:compile
PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32768 bytes) 

I enhance memory limit in php.ini to 256MB. Then upgrade via console completed sucessfull.

But rediness check via web interface stuck on Component dependencies check.

I enhance php execution time to 180 sec. Then upgrade was completed sucessfull via web.