cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from 2.04 to 2.07

Upgrading from 2.04 to 2.07

I am upgrading from 2.0.4 to 2.0.7 using the wizard.

The system upgrade status shows: Update application is running

The last item on the console log is:

[2016-05-24 16:10:02 UTC] ./composer.json has been updated

That was over an hour ago.  How do I determine if its still running or if I need to take some other action?  How long should it take?

Update - I found this error: 

PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1245184 bytes) in /var/www/vhosts/mysite.com/httpdocs/magento2/update/vendor/composer/composer/src/Composer/Cache.php on line 72

I tried updating the PHP memory_limit to 4G (per another post I saw somewhere) but that did not work.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How long does the Udate Application take to run?

I finally got my Magento 2.04 upgraded to 2.07 - after experiencing several frustrating issues.  I'm not a technical person, so thought I would share my experience in hopes that it might help others who are also not technical:

1. Readiness Check - I experienced problems here with my cron jobs.  Took me quite a while to figure out how to get those set up, but I was finally successful.  Using an SSH terminal, logged in as root - I created the cron jobs.  There was no information on how to actually create these (ie use the editor in the SSH terminal).  A good source I found was: http://php-opensource-help.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-to-set-up-cron-job-file-using-putty.html.

2. Backup - This required several directories to have permissions updated.  Got through that using CHOWN command.  Then the backup failed.  No message other than "server error".  Turned out I needed to change the PHP max_execution_time to 1800 in order for the backup script to run successfully.

3. System Upgrade - my system kept hanging after ./composer.json had been updated.  No error given on the log, it just sat there.  Eventually I found an error that was emailed to me (I'm guessing because of the cron jobs - but not sure).  It turned out that I needed to edit my PHP.ini file and change the memory_limit to 10G.  That fixed it.

4. Since my upgrade was hung on system upgrade - in order to get to the point that I could re-run, I had to go in and:

a. disable maintenance mode:  php bin/magento maintenance:disable

b. deleted the var/cache directory content (this may have been unecessary, but it didn't hurt anything).

c. deleted from the var folder - update_in_progress.flag file

5. After the upgrade completed, then I had a ton of PHP errors again.  It turned out that upgrading changed permissions and the ownership of several files and folders back to root.  I ran in SSH:  chown -R user/group <magento directory>.  This changed all directories and files under my magento directory to the correct user and group.

SUCCESS!  It only took me 8 hours to get through all this.  But I am now running version 2.07 and have documented all so that hopefully the next upgrade will go much more smoothly.

Re: Upgrading from 2.04 to 2.07

This tool allows you to migrate your Magento to version 2.0.7 with ease https://is.gd/IMLMvs . It will take some hours to finish all.

Re: How long does the Udate Application take to run?

Thanks for your sharing about upgrading Magento 2.x. Feel likes many errors can be happen and become dangerous for store data.