cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bin/magento deleted when upgrading to Magento 2.2.0 using composer

bin/magento deleted when upgrading to Magento 2.2.0 using composer

I am tying to upgrade a Magento 2.1 site to Magento 2.2.0 but it seems to be dropping out during the process and the bin/magento file is removed but not replaced so nothing at all works after this.

I am using these commands:

cd /var/www/html
bin/magento maintenance:enable
composer require magento/product-community-edition 2.2 --no-update  
composer update

It seems to work nicely upgrading all the files but then it seems to stop (as if it has actually finished) but I get the following and the file bin/magento has completely gone.

I am definitely using the same user account to do the upgrade as was used to install Magento so I don’t think it’s a permissions problem.

....truncated lots of updates....
 - Removing theseer/fdomdocument (1.6.5)
 - Installing theseer/fdomdocument (1.6.6)
 Downloading: 100%         

zendframework/zend-session suggests installing mongodb/mongodb (If you want to use the MongoDB session save handler) zendframework/zend-session suggests installing zendframework/zend-cache (Zend\Cache component) paragonie/random_compat suggests installing ext-libsodium (Provides a modern crypto API that can be used to generate random bytes.) zendframework/zend-captcha suggests installing zendframework/zend-i18n-resources (Translations of captcha messages) zendframework/zend-captcha suggests installing zendframework/zendservice-recaptcha (ZendService\ReCaptcha component) ramsey/uuid suggests installing ircmaxell/random-lib (Provides RandomLib for use with the RandomLibAdapter) ramsey/uuid suggests installing ext-libsodium (Provides the PECL libsodium extension for use with the SodiumRandomGenerator) ramsey/uuid suggests installing ext-uuid (Provides the PECL UUID extension for use with the PeclUuidTimeGenerator and PeclUuidRandomGenerator) ramsey/uuid suggests installing moontoast/math (Provides support for converting UUID to 128-bit integer (in string form).) ramsey/uuid suggests installing ramsey/uuid-doctrine (Allows the use of Ramsey\Uuid\Uuid as Doctrine field type.) ramsey/uuid suggests installing ramsey/uuid-console (A console application for generating UUIDs with ramsey/uuid)
 Package fabpot/php-cs-fixer is abandoned, you should avoid using it. Use friendsofphp/php-cs-fixer instead.
 Writing lock file
 Generating autoload files
 File doesn't exist: bin/magento
 Check "chmod" section in composer.json of magento/magento2-base package.
16 REPLIES 16

Re: bin/magento deleted when upgrading to Magento 2.2.0 using composer

Same here from 2.2.0 to 2.2.1 with web based Process extensions update process.

Hi,

How did you fix it? I have the same problem.

Thanks in advance.

I just had this same issue going from 2.1.8 to 2.2.2. I can't believe this same issue has persisted going on 4 months now and they haven't even responded. Actually no, i can believe it.

Hi,

I solved it, atleast worked for me.. I got a brainflash what i did at installation.
After fresh installation it sayes to secure etc map with special rights. I did and totally forgot this.

Tested different servers, whole **bleep** .. until i remember it.

Give the map its original rights and upgrade will work.. atleast for me.

Hello,

Had been having the same problem and figured it out to be a permissions problem.

My Magento system had 755 permissions on directories. 

I changed directories to 775 and files to 664 and this allowed it to write the new bin/magento and other files it needed to as part of the upgrade

Hope it helps

So what are the actual commands you ran to do this?

Thanks

Same problem from 2.2.5 to 2.2.6... any workaround? I have change file and folder permissions without any fix Smiley Sad

I've been experiencing composer update issues ever since 2.1.8. I always experience that the composer update process will delete all my .htaccess files, bin/magento files, and root files in the app folder (autoload.php, bootstrap.php, & functions.php).

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Happened again going from 2.2.6 to 2.3.0, and I have to hunt down what all files that are simply not there.

Did you find a solution to this? I have tried changing file permissions etc but it doesn't help creating bin/magento