cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building the Future of Magento Open Source Together

sidolovado
Adobe Team

Author: John Stockton, Senior Director, Product. 

The power of open source software is how it enables a global community of developers to build upon and extend the core code to address a wide range of business needs and use cases. The Magento community has always been a key source of innovation, not just for Adobe Commerce and Magento Open Source, but throughout the ecommerce industry - pioneering solutions, rapidly advancing product capabilities, and enabling companies from diverse industries to achieve their customer experience visions. Over the 14 years since Magento was first released, the platform’s flexibility has enabled the largest ecosystem in all of commerce to execute on every imaginable digital business case and empowered customers, partners, and developers to succeed.

As the landscape changes, the Magento community is ensuring it remains a leading platform for solving commerce needs, particularly for SOHO and SMB customers, and Adobe is dedicated to helping the community continue to drive product value. Adobe is confident in the future of Magento Open Source and invested in being a good partner to cultivate that future through the Magento Association.

Adobe will continue to partner with the community to ensuring that the core open source codebase is secure and high quality, while we focus on delivering incremental capabilities released as independent modules to help our customers realize new value. This approach takes into account customer feedback on simplifying the upgrade process and lowering total cost of ownership, while also allowing us to bring new capabilities to market faster.   Features like PWA Studio, GraphQL expansion, Sales Channels, and more are examples of how the entire Community will continue to benefit from the independently released functionality. We are also excited to see the innovation that customers, partners, and developers across our community will bring to Page Builder. Joint development projects bring together Adobe’s product, UX, and QA teams to work closely with community members on key initiatives like the Platform Health and PHP 8 compatibility projects.

Through events like Adobe Developers Live, coming on October 4 & 5, Magento Association Connect, Community Engineering led Community Hangouts, and GitHub driven conversations, we are excited to continue engaging in two-way dialogue with our developer and partner community about the future of open source, and Adobe’s ongoing support of the community. 

8 Comments
lbajsarowiczpl
Core Maintainer

The "Letter" seems to be an answer to the Community Uprising: https://www.mage-os.community/blog/the-future-of-magento

Q Solutions
M2 Certified

Imho, there is nothing Adobe can say a=nd do that will change peoples mind at this point.

People have been ignored for years and they finally had enough. 

barbaros selim
Occasional Contributor

Look John, all you wrote is good and fine but since you are here I really want to ask you this,

On Magento version 2, who came up with this brilliant idea to turn products that is going to be created under CONFIGURABLE products as "VIRTUAL" products if there is no "weight" info in it? I really wanna know this.

You know I can come up with a change on the code but instead to feel it everyday on a constant basis i'm firing up my mysql query to keep wondering about who's idea is this? It should belong to one of product managers right, for instance are those PMs did any research about how many Magento installations are actually using the weight attribute and in which markets by percentage?

Because you know, I don't want or require my content team to open up EVERY single product at the admin (which takes a lot of time to load even on a best optimized server) and put nonsense WEIGHT information that I'm not gonna use, that my business does not requires and not to mention SO MANY SHIPPING integrations brought their own weight and size calculators as a package so the attribute becomes completely useless at least for all Magento projects I've built in 8 years and forces my overloaded content team to put weight or takes my precious time to change them in bulk with a single query that I have to run every day.

I mean I can keep complaining about this for forever you know, because every single day you take your dog walking, you feed your bird, kiss your wife maybe call your mama and then comes the responsibility of CHANGING VIRTUALS TO SIMPLE EVERY SINGLE DAY!

JUST WHY?

Jisse Reitsma
Event Organizer

That moment when a blog on the future of Magento gets wasted with a comment on Configurable Products ...

iminiailo
Adobe Team

@Jisse Reitsma  I think for solving Virtual products issue it's always possible to use mass action in admin products grid.

1. selecting products in the grid 

2. choosing mass attribute update 

3. selecting "weigh" 

4. apply update 

I hope we could address other community concerns same as this one

Jisse Reitsma
Event Organizer

@iminiailo O maybe you misunderstood. I don't have an issue with Virtual Products. I just found this forum thread (which started as kind-of-a-reaction-to-the-open-letter-thing not appropriate to complain about specific issues that should be discussed on GitHub instead ...

barbaros selim
Occasional Contributor

Well you are right, but my github account is not very popular enough to get some attention. I'm not a developer, when I saw that there is something from "director of product" i just used my right to complaint.

Also I know people who has been posting things like that on Github and those are sitting there for a long time and not getting attention.

So excuse me if I'm just taking my chances here. Smiley Happy

By seeing the post not getting enough attention about "THE FUTURE OF OPEN SOURCE" comparing to my complaint, I actually did pretty good.

This is also a good sign for how long we've been neglected.

Ah but you are right, this is not the place, this is not a time to post something like above after an open letter too.  This forum is full of spam messages, there was one today in this post as well. So if I were you, I wouldn't think much about my reaction. If I were you I would start thinking about my reaction and why I get so triggered about it.

lf3246986g636e
Occasional Visitor

Can I convert my website into Devblog?