cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In your opinion, what is the current state of Magento 2?

In your opinion, what is the current state of Magento 2?

So today I was researching updates as we want to update one of our stores from 2.1.7 to the newest version. To my surprise, the latest stable release is still 2.2.3, from December 2017. Upon further research, they switched the name to "open source" from community edition, and have a github repo with a bunch of new changes from hours ago to days ago. The one thing that's been consistent is that there's over 900 issues still in the repo. Another thing that concerns me is that on their official website they only have it in the footer, with no announcement anywhere else on their site.

Is it just me, or are they on their way out? It seems like support is dropping rapidly for it, and they have adjusted all their efforts to a cloud based model with a monthly subscription.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: In your opinion, what is the current state of Magento 2?

@mervin_rasquinh Thank you for your question. I have no affiliation with Magento or Adobe. However, I maintain numerous Magento 2.3.3 sites (mostly Open Source) for multiple customers. Most of these customers are large and depend upon Magento to function for key parts of their businesses to succeed. There will always be alternatives to Magento. One day, one of those alternatives may out pace Magento. However, I don't see any near future where Magento is "on the way out". 

The paid version of Magento has recently focused on the Cloud experience as well as the B2B and content management features. For some enterprises, these features are a great value compared to building them or outsourcing them. 9/10 of my clients run the Open Source version and depend on the Market Place to source additional features they need. 

Of the 900 issues in Github, are there any that directly affect your installation or are you generally concerned about the quantity of bugs? If it is a general concern, then keep in mind that most of the enterprise world runs on Windows and I'm certain their bug list would dwarf that of Magento. Bugs are an inevitable part of software. In the case of Magento, the complexity of the system increases the likelihood of bugs. 

I make my living from Magento support and customization, so I'm am biased towards the success of the platform. However, the most appropriate way for any enterprise to make a determination of the "right software" is to clearly define their goals and then clarify the needs/wants that support those goals. From there you can work backwards into the right software for the job. 

I'm happy to discuss more and hope you find the assurance you need to make a great decision for your company. 

- David

Re: In your opinion, what is the current state of Magento 2?

Hello @mervin_rasquinh 

If i answer you in short summery, 

1. Latest Magento version is 2.3.3

2. Magento is planning to release a very big update of 2.4.0 in 2020 may be in first quarter itself.

3. Magento Community is quite big so it won't let you feel down to use the Magento 2.

4. Thousands of Magento Extension Development Agencies to help you with tiny features which are not directly available in Magento.

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now