cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the pros and cons of having a subdomain(store.example.com) vs subfolder(example.com/store)?

SOLVED

What are the pros and cons of having a subdomain(store.example.com) vs subfolder(example.com/store)?

HI, 

We are plannig to migrate our woocomerce store from wordpress to Magento2 and have a dilemma on whether to choose subfolder (example.com/store) or subdomain (store.example.com) for the store. WE will have the main site as a content page in wordpress to generate all the links juices and the move our products to Magento 2 using either subfolder or subdomain.

Which is more advantageous?

How will our ranking be affected if we choose either?

Can anyone suggest which is the best option?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: What are the pros and cons of having a subdomain(store.example.com) vs subfolder(example.com/sto

Hello @JoshCber

The question of subdomain or subfolder is frequently argued about since both these methods have pros and cons.

It terms of link juice concentration it is better to choose a subfolder structure when all your pages are under one roof, so the shop benefits from the links to the content site, and vice versa.

But at the same time having 2 sites (one is a main domain and another one is on subdomain) means you have more opportunities to make multiple pages rank in Google as it treats subdomains as separate sites. What is more, this scenario is better in terms of configuration, so I would choose it in your case.

Hope that helps!

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
230+ professional extensions for M1 & M2 with free lifetime updates!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Re: What are the pros and cons of having a subdomain(store.example.com) vs subfolder(example.com/sto

Hello @JoshCber

The question of subdomain or subfolder is frequently argued about since both these methods have pros and cons.

It terms of link juice concentration it is better to choose a subfolder structure when all your pages are under one roof, so the shop benefits from the links to the content site, and vice versa.

But at the same time having 2 sites (one is a main domain and another one is on subdomain) means you have more opportunities to make multiple pages rank in Google as it treats subdomains as separate sites. What is more, this scenario is better in terms of configuration, so I would choose it in your case.

Hope that helps!

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
230+ professional extensions for M1 & M2 with free lifetime updates!

Please read out this blog, answers your question,

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-treat-subdomains-vs-subdirectories-22485.html