cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi from New Member

Hi from New Member

Hi All,

I did not know anything about Magento until today! I have had an Adobe CC account for many years and purchased illustrator back in 1988! I use Wix for most of my Web Design but I knew nothing about this platform at all?

It states you can sign-in with your Creative Cloud details but I cannot see how to do that?

It won't cost me to learn this will it? I mean, I know zero about it so would please like to just confirm that! Smiley Happy

And finally, I cannot seriously believe - as someone who has been into web design since the early days of Dreamweaver & Flash etc.. that I knew nothing about Magento? I had never even heard of it and that quite stuns me tbh!

So please can you point me in the direction of where to start to learning and please inform me, is this Free or is it a part of my Creative Cloud membership already? Smiley Happy

Any advice Very much appreciated.

Thank you

Brian

1 REPLY 1

Re: Hi from New Member

Hi Curtis,

Magento is has a long history in the eCommerce world, but was only acquired by Adobe back in 2018. Since the acquisition, Adobe has been integrating facets of the Magento ecosystem into its own. While Adobe is actively marketing Adobe Commerce, including throughout events like Adobe Summit, it's not terribly surprising that some Adobe fans haven't gotten up to speed on Magento yet.

Magento is open-source software that has traditionally been self-hosted (not SaaS), much like WordPress. So, you can download a copy of the Magento software, set up an appropriate development environment (or have a Magento web hosting provider take care of that for you), and proceed to build out an eCommerce website. 

Adobe is, in essence, the steward of this open-source platform, much like how IBM owns Red Hat.

This software is most often used by mid-market and enterprise businesses that want more control of their websites. Most small businesses have refocused on SaaS solutions like Shopify and BigCommerce.

There is also a commercially licensed version of the software. It used to be called Magento Enterprise, and then Magento Commerce, but it's now been rebranded as Adobe Commerce. This platform has traditionally targeted larger users, much like Adobe Experience Manager (AEM). There are long-term licensing commitments, and fees that have historically started in the tens of thousands of dollars per year. 

With Magento Open-Source edition, you get free software, but you're responsible for hosting, patches and upgrades, and any other maintenance and security. 

With Adobe Commerce, you get extra features bundled in, along with some support layers. You're still responsible for building and maintaining your own eCommerce website - it's not SaaS. With this paid version, you also have the option of bundling in a hosting account from Adobe, although support is typically pretty different when compared to a traditional web hosting provider that does nothing but web hosting.

As one of the most popular eCommerce platforms on the planet, there are tons of educational materials available about Magento, including Magento's own user guides. There are also paid courses and certifications. What's important to understand is that Magento is a very robust, feature-rich eCommerce software that requires technical knowledge. If you aren't a PHP developer and want to use Magento, you can expect to hire one. If you aren't an expert at sysops, chances are you're going to get a web hosting account from a major provider.

Magento is made to support established and fast-growing eCommerce brands, but with its flexibility and customization opportunities come technical requirements.

Best of luck!