cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Time Comp Sci Student doing Internship

Part Time Comp Sci Student doing Internship

Hi there,

Got a Internship with a company that wants to build a Magento e-shop from the ground up and I am struggling to find the resources that I need to fully learn the framework. What things do I need to learn to build the website from the ground up? Note I know how to install Magento. I need to know how to build a web app from nothing like you do in Laravel or Django by establishing the CRUD. 

So this is where I am at the moment:
I've spent the last 3 years writing Python and messing about with WordPress on a casual level. I've had exposure to PHP, MYSQL, GIT, APACHE, LINUX (most things LAMP). I start a Web Technologies course in October (TT284 Open University). I've had some exposure to OOPHP but learned most of OOP on Udacity and Code academy in Javascript. My Frontend skills are basic. I know how to write HTML/CSS but I haven't got a good memory for Bootstrap classes. I tend to cut copy and paste. University has stripped me of my web developer knowledge in year 1 because I've had to learn all the foundations mean while getting my Calculus in order. 

The company that I am going to work for has 2 senior software engineers who are going to guide me through the process but I don't want to disappoint them. This is my dream job.

I have a whole library at my disposal including O'reliey/Safari  (Ya Rly).
Purchased some Udemy material etc

What I really don't want to do is end up looking like a idiot. I want to get on with the job and show what a Open University student can do. I didn't have the luxury of going to University while I was young due to living in a rural location so I want to make this work.

Your help will be appreciated. Thanks. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Part Time Comp Sci Student doing Internship

Hello @brent_cooper 

Welcome to the community forums.

This community forums is a very good platform to ask the questions and try to help others.

You can also find related information on StackExchange and you can start diving into the http://devdocs.magento.com/

You can get idea about already reported/existing issue from Github: https://github.com/magento/magento2/issues

Also, you should read this post: https://community.magento.com/t5/Welcome-to-the-Magento-Community/Start-here-and-hello-from-me/m-p/5... (in particular the guidelines)

If you're new to our forums, welcome! Take a look around, introduce yourselfcheck out our guidelines, and be sure to reach out to me or any of our awesome moderators if you have any questions.

You can ask also question to Magento Community Manager @sherrie if you have still issue.

You can always share your thoughts on this platform and yes definitely you can get help from existing community members as well

Looking forward your contribution on this forum Smiley Happy

if issue solved,Click Kudos & Accept as Solution
Magento Developer
Ankita Biswas

Re: Part Time Comp Sci Student doing Internship

Very nice info for students