cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing PWA from Magento installation - Opinions

SOLVED

Removing PWA from Magento installation - Opinions

Good day.
I'm Mark and I'm from the Netherlands. I work in the marketing department of an online Magento shop that sells tools for the elderly.

About 1.5 years ago, we migrated from Magento 1 to Magento 2. It was a long and expensive process. Our website is a PWA webshop. Our developers now want to upgrade the webshop to a newer version, but because of PWA, this is proving to be a time-consuming task. They've noticed that all the work on the webshop takes much more time due to PWA compared to a webshop without PWA. Additionally, our PWA website hasn't been fully developed yet. Functions like receiving notifications, for example, haven't been built. Our target audience is also not familiar with the benefits of our PWA webshop.

We are considering removing PWA from our Magento installation. The downside is that the front-end would need to be rebuilt, and all the time invested in PWA would be lost. The advantage is that future updates and tasks would be easier and cheaper.

My question to you is: Given the above situation, would you also remove PWA? Or not? There's also talk about the alternative 'Hyva', but I have no knowledge about it.

I would appreciate hearing your opinions

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Removing PWA from Magento installation - Opinions

Sounds like you built a PWA frontend without having a clear vision of how that investment will benefit you or what impact on technical debt it will create.

There are not a lot of businesses that would greatly benefit from having a PWA frontend, for most, the cost of the technical debt is higher than potential gains, which seems to be your case.

So, yes, having a default Magento front-end would mean easier upgrades, all of default functionality covered, and fewer bugs.

Hyva might also be a good way to go, depending on the competencies of your dev team, and depending on what exactly is it that you're trying to achieve.

Feel free to DM me if you want to discuss this in more details.

Founder at https://agency418.com

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Removing PWA from Magento installation - Opinions

Sounds like you built a PWA frontend without having a clear vision of how that investment will benefit you or what impact on technical debt it will create.

There are not a lot of businesses that would greatly benefit from having a PWA frontend, for most, the cost of the technical debt is higher than potential gains, which seems to be your case.

So, yes, having a default Magento front-end would mean easier upgrades, all of default functionality covered, and fewer bugs.

Hyva might also be a good way to go, depending on the competencies of your dev team, and depending on what exactly is it that you're trying to achieve.

Feel free to DM me if you want to discuss this in more details.

Founder at https://agency418.com